Thanksgiving- Theo and Dimitri

“This is going to be horribly awkward,” I said, pouting out of the window.

                “Oh, lighten up Theo,” dad said.

                “You people need to stop enjoying my pain on Thanksgiving!” I said, my pout getting deeper.

                “Nah,” mom said.

                “Thank you mother,” I grumbled.

                I mentally sighed as dad pulled into the Ivanov’s driveway. Mr. and Mrs. Ivanov had invited our family to join them for Thanksgiving dinner. Thalia was spending the day with our aunt, so she got out of this awkward dinner. It also saved me the trouble of explaining the fact that Dimitri and Alek were actually brother and sister.

                We got out of the car and I cursed my life as we went up to the front door and rang the doorbell. Mr. Ivanov pulled the door open and let us inside.

                “Hello Mr. Ivanov,” dad said.

                “Alexei,” Mr. Ivanov corrected, shaking my dad’s hand.

                He led us to the dining room, where the table was set neatly. Alexei gestured to the table.

                “Please, take a seat anywhere,” he said.

                We sat down at the table. I could smell delicious food, and it made my stomach growl. I watched Alexei as he went to the doorway.

                “Kids! Come downstairs!” he called.

                He stepped back as the sound of footsteps on the stairs reached us. Galen appeared in the doorway and Alexei held his arms open. Galen ran into them, giggling as Alexei swung him around and kissed his cheek.

                “I hope you’re hungry,” he said.

                “I’m starving daddy!” Galen said, wrapping his arms around Alexei’s neck.

                Alexei carried him over to the table and sat him down in a chair. Galen eyed me with distaste.

                “Hi Theo,” he said.

                “Hi Galen,” I said, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

                I looked over as Alek entered the room, promptly ignoring me. She sat down at the table, next to Galen.

                “Alek, do you know if your brother was drawing?” Alexei asked.

                “I have no idea, dad. His door was shut,” Alek said.

                “Please go get him. Even if he’s drawing. It’s Thanksgiving, and Theo and his family are here,” Alexei said.

                Alek got up and left the room. A minute later, she returned to the room. Alexei shot her a curious look.

                “He fell asleep. I woke him up. He’ll be down in a second,” she said, taking her seat again.

                Dimitri came into the room about two minutes later, looking sleepy. His purple fohawk was lightly messed up, and his bright orange shirt was wrinkled.