Father's Day- Outside The Lines

A.N.- Alright, I know I said I was going to mass post all of these, but I decided to post them individually. So here's my personal favorite dad, Alexei Ivanov :D 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                Alexei Ivanov heard the sound of feet rushing down the stairs and glanced at his wife. Eva smiled and shrugged.

                “They’re awake,” she said.

                “And so father’s day begins,” Alexei said with a smile.

                Dimitri and Alek appeared in the doorway. He smiled at them and knelt down, holding his arms out. The 5 and 6 year old children raced into his arms, hugging him.

                “Happy father’s day!” Alek said, kissing her father’s cheek.

                “Thank you,” Alexei said.

                “Happy father’s day,” Dimitri said with a smile. But then he frowned curiously. “But father, I don’t understand. Why is there a father’s day?”

                “Dimitri,” Eva said with a sigh. “That’s a little mean.”

                Dimitri shook his head. “No, mother! I love father every day. So why is there a specific day? Am I supposed to love him even more today?”

                Alexei smiled softly at his son and stood up with Dimitri in his arms, kissing his cheek. Dimitri turned his confused expression to his dad.

                “You love mom and me every day, but you don’t always show it every day. Today is the day where you can make a big deal out of it. And on mother’s day, you can a big deal out of how much you love her. Understand?” he said.

                Dimitri nodded slowly. “I think so. Okay. Well, I do love you,” he said, putting his little arms around Alexei’s neck.

                “And I love you too little one,” Alexei said, smiling at Dimitri. He looked down at Alek and knelt back down, setting Dimitri on the floor. “I love both of you.”

                “Come on you two. We need to get you dressed. We’re taking your dad out for a brunch today,” Eva said. She glanced at Dimitri and bit her lip, looking over at her husband. “Alexei, I have clothes for Dimitri to wear to brunch but…I don’t know if he’ll wear them. You know how he is.”

                “Let him wear what he chooses,” Alexei said with a shrug. “If he’ll wear the outfit you bought, then fine. If not, then that’s fine too.”

                Eva nodded and ushered the kids upstairs to get them dressed. They came back down a few minutes later and Alexei looked at them, looked at his beautiful children.

                Alek was wearing a white dress with a red cardigan. Her hair was down with a red headband in it, keeping it out of her eyes. He knew that when she grew up, she would be as beautiful as her mother.

                Dimitri surprised him. The normally colorful little boy was wearing tan shorts with a blue and white plaid shirt. His hair was lying carefully styled by his mom, instead of in the messy way he usually styled it himself. He lacked any of his usual bright colors or mismatched clothes.

                “You both look beautiful,” Alexei said.

                “Thanks daddy. I was saving this dress for today!” Alek said, bounding over to him and hugging him.

                “You’re such a pretty little girl,” Alexei said, hugging her and smiling.

                “Let’s go before we’re late,” Eva said, taking Dimitri’s hand in hers since she knew he somehow managed to be late for everything.

                They drove to the nice restaurant and went inside, sitting down. Dimitri sat next to Alexei, and Alek and Eva sat across from him. They began to look through their menus and Alexei looked over at Dimitri.

                “Hey Dimitri?” he said.

                Dimitri looked up from his menu. “Yes, father?”

                “Why aren’t you wearing any of your colors?” Alexei asked.

                “Because today is your day,” Dimitri said. “So, I wore nice clothes for you. Because I wanna show you I love you, daddy.”

                Alexei felt truly touched. “Dimitri, you don’t have to do that. I love you in your bright colors,” he said, leaning over and kissing his cheek. “But I really appreciate this. I love you, little man.”

                                                                                                ***

                “Dimitri! Hurry up!” Eva called.

                Alexei looked over, snapped out of the memory of 12 years ago. Alek appeared in the kitchen with Galen next to her.

                “Happy father’s day daddy!” Galen said, running over.

                Alexei caught him, lifting him into his arms and kissing him. “Thank you Galen!”

                “Dimitri!” Eva called again. “I swear that boy is late for everything. He was late being born and he’ll probably be late to his own funeral.”

                “He was late being born, but you always say he was the easiest,” Alexei said, laughing. “He may always be late, but he’s always been easy.”

                “Terribly sorry. Fabulous appearances like mine take time,” Dimitri said, stepping into the kitchen. “Happy father’s day, father dearest.”

                “Thank you Dimitri,” Alexei said.

                Alek went over and hugged him. “Happy father’s day,” she said with a smile. “I love you, dad.”

                “I love you too,” he said, smiling widely at her.

                His smile grew as he realized that Dimitri was wearing bright pink shorts with a bright green button-up shirt. Dimitri gave him a lazy smile, his hair up in its purple fohawk.

                “Let’s hurry up before we’re late please,” Eva said, ushering her children and husband out the door.

                They drove to the restaurant that they had come to brunch to every year since the first father’s day they had celebrated. Alexei could remember that year fondly. Alek had been a baby, and Eva had been newly pregnant with Dimitri.

                Alexei still couldn’t believe he was the father to three beautiful, lovely children. He smiled at each of them as they sat around him at the table. Even Galen, the little one they hadn’t been expecting. He wouldn’t give up any of his children for anything.

                “Happy father’s day, dad,” Dimitri said, handing him an envelope with a card in it.

                “Thank you Dimmy,” he said, putting an arm around Dimitri and kissing his cheek.

                “Well, of course. I must show my affections. After all, not only would I have never been born without you, but I wouldn’t be this level of fabulous,” he said, gesturing at himself. “Every boy needs a father who can instill confidence in him.”

                Alexei smiled proudly at Dimitri. “I love you. I love you, your sister, and your brother.”

                “And I can assure that we all return the affection,” Dimitri said with an honest smile. “I love you, dad.”