Mother's Day- Ethan

Mary smiled a little as she heard the sound of small feet padding down the hallway. A moment later, a sleepy Ethan appeared, rubbing at his eyes.

                "Happy mother's day, mommy!" the four year said, noticing her. He went over to her, wrapping his arms as far around her as he could. "I love you!"

                "I love you too," Mary said, lifting him into her arms and kissing him. "I love you so much, Ethan. I'm so happy to be your mommy."

                "You're the best mommy in the world," Ethan said, snuggling against her.

                "Ethan, you left mommy's card in your room!" Greg said, coming over with it in his hands and giving it to Ethan.

                "Oh! Mommy, I made this for you!" Ethan said eagerly, holding it out to Mary.

                Mary opened the card, looking at the poorly drawn pictures inside and the messy writing. She smiled widely, hugging Ethan.

                "Thank you. I love it," she said honestly. She kissed Ethan again, beaming a smile at the little boy. She didn't know how she'd gotten so lucky to have gotten a son like him. She loved him so much she couldn't believe it sometimes.

                He smiled back at her, hugging her again, letting her know he loved her just as much.

                                                                                                ***

                Ethan stumbled out to the kitchen, T-shirt riding up, revealing his stomach, his shorts hanging loosely on his hips. His hair was a mess and he looked about 3% awake.

                "Happy mother's day," he said, yawning.

                Mary went over, smoothing his hair down. "Thank you," she said, kissing his head.

                "Oh, I got you a present," Ethan said, standing up. He left the room and came back a minute later with a plant and a card in his hand. "Here, I got you a plant. It grows every day, just like my love for you. Unless it dies. Then forget everything I just said."

                "Ethan!" Mary rolled her eyes and took the plant. "It's very nice. I think I'll put in the bedroom!"

                Mary opened the card he had given her and couldn't help the smile that came to her face. Inside of it was a picture of her and Ethan when he was a toddler, both of them laughing with each other.

                "Come here," she said, holding her arms out.

                Ethan moved into them, and she wrapped her arms around his scrawny figure, wishing he'd had an easier life, and so proud of how strong he was. He hugged her just as tight as she hugged him. His mother and father had been all he'd had for nearly 18 years, and he loved both of them more than he would ever admit to.

                "I love you mom," Ethan said. "Maybe I'll even avoid being sassy and perverted today, just for you. Don't you feel special?"

                "If you weren't sassy and perverted, you wouldn't by my Ethan," Mary said with a sigh. But then she smiled. "I love you, Ethan. I love being your mother."

                "Well that's good because you're kind of obligated to be my mom," Ethan said. "I guess being your son is alright. When you're not yelling 'Ethan Alexander stop being rude!', that is." He gave her a small, but honest, smile. "Happy mother's day. Love you."

                "It is a very happy mother's day," Mary said, pulling him in for another hug. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

A.N.- Sorry it's a little short and not that great, I was in a rush to write it because I have to go out to eat with my own mother soon. Happy mother's day to all you mother's out there! If I had time to write mother's day specials for any other of my characters' mothers, who would you want it for?