Chapter 14: Breaking and bonding

Big hands grabbing the hem of her clothing. Rough skin humping.

'You like it, dear. Just admit it.' A slick voice whispered in her ear. Each thrust sends shots of pain down her spine. Only biting her tongue fiercely kept her from crying out. Still, she couldn't stop the whimpers that escaped occasionally.

The countless mind exercises did not help the feeling of hands touching her, moving her.

Breathe. Remove yourself. Breathe.

Tonight it was different, madness had started to creep up on her and thoughts had been whirling in her head. She was already stuck too long in her own head to distance herself.

A scream escaped her and the Lord slapped her straight across her face.

Adelaide woke form the dream screaming the way she could not in her dream. Bewildered, she looked around to see anything but the tent was pitch-black.

Darkness had always unsettled her and she ran around, frantically looking for a candle.

'Shit, shit, shit' she muttered.

Abruptly, the darkness was swallowed by a candle entering the tent. Her heart sighed with relief but her mind screamed irritatedly because of the person holding the candle.

'Are you alright? I heard your screams.' The pure worry on Caspian's face made her look away. She wondered how he gathered up the nerve to come terrorising her tent.

'Fine.' He raised an eyebrow. 'You can go.' She snapped at him.

His facial muscles strained as he started to say something but realisation hit her.

'Wait, your tent is on the other end of the hill. How did you come here so quickly?' She demanded. There was no way he could have heard her 'slight' distress that far away. He did not even look that flustered. A bit sweaty maybe from their journey but nothing out of the ordinary.

'I could not sleep' He replied softly. Clearly, he had noticed her not-very-well-hidden anger. 'I decided to guard the camp'

She snorted and he flinched. 'You mean my tent.' He had no good reason to snoop around her tent, but she relaxed a bit instinctively. She was acting like a brat. Or probably baboon if it were up to Caspian, who was no rubbing his neck feverishly.

'Yes. As I said, after the past days I felt restless. After yesterday I thought you might need some comfort.' His large brown eyes stood innocent. 'You weren't yourself'

Even despite his kindness she could not look past the subtle jab he made yesterday. He had not trusted her with his own past, his own demons. Like she was not worthy of them. Instead he had pushed her away, till she eventually ended up in literal hell.

You will never go back there again.

Pretty words, but utterly empty of meaning.

'I can't think of a single damn reason why that would be of any concern to you.' She practically shouted. 'It is not like we are actual friends or something.'

The kindness was instantly gone in his eyes. Almost immediately he pulled his walls back up and the sarcastic smile reappeared, though he could not fully hide his anger.

' So after all that talk. What would you say we are? Companions, ... acquaintances... or maybe you like enemies? It surely can't be an accident that every time I see you in a weak position, you lash out at me the next day like a wounded animal.' At her shocked expression he only grinned like a wolf. 'Yeah I have noticed. So now, ... If you would please tell me, my lady, what has got your panties in a twist?'