Chapter 10: The Study

Miraz had been standing in master Cornelius' office for quite some time. He leaned lazily against the desk, studying the book before him.  Thoughts were running through his head. When he had heard that Caspian had escaped from Glozelle's men he had been furious. The stupid captain let the teen slip through his hands, but he after he saw the old Narnian which he brought, he had realised that greater problems were ahead.

Since he was a young boy he had been fascinated with the history of the land that he had claimed as his own. Of course most of it was probably written down better than it had actually been.  He had learned about the guadians of Narnia, the dancing trees and all the mysterious creatures roaming the forests. Most of it was believed to be superstition but when he had met the stunning girl in the dungeon his eyes were opened. No, she wasn't just any girl. The Lady was what the narnians had called her.

During the rebellion she had lead the people and was a true guardian of Narnia. At first he had been afraid of her, of the power that was contained under her skin but also the fire in her eyes.  The younger Miraz had both adored her and hated her but as years passed he wasn't so afraid of her anymore. Just another chained up animal. While his brother was punishing and deterring him with his know-it-all face, he had run to the dungeons to bestow his rage upon her.  Everyone was aware of the fact that Miraz had turned cruel but as long as he didn't rape, abuse or even annoy them they didn't care.

Now they had no choice but to listen to him. With Caspian marked as traitor to the Telmar kingdom he finally got the chance to step out of his role of regent into the role of being king. He had to play it right but it would soon all be worth it. He didn't care that he would have to kill his nephew for it as he murdered his brother.

After Caspian had fled he had found the cell of the girl empty and he had known whose doing it was. There were only few people who knew about her existence in the castle. The various lords and guards he had granted a night with her never knew what she was.  Miraz was very aware that Adelaide could make the difference between victory or defeat.  That's also why the guard standing duty had been hanged the following day. The wails of his family he could still hear.

He knew she was scared of him beyond anything else, he also knew she would never abandon those in need. He had intended to use her as a hostage to negotiate with the old Narnians. Now nothing stopped them from rebelling again, but he knew of the perfect trap to lure her within his reach again.  The thing currently walked into the study with a surprised look on his face.

'You have quite the library, Doctor.' He smiled while the old man took a step closer.

"Is there anything in particular you seek, my lord?' Master Cornelius countered. He had come into his study to further investigate the old times when he found Miraz lurking over his old books. He knew the man was up to something

A dangerous glance washed the regent's face. He looked furious. 'I think I already found what I‟m looking for...' He slammed a  an object into the book with all force and hissed through his teeth. '... in one of my soldiers!'

An arrow was slightly vibrating. Cornelius directly recognized the arrow. This can't be possible. One of the arrows of Queen Susan now sticked in the book. The famous doctor couldn't help feeling hopeful. So one of them has blown the corn at last! Somehow he managed to keep a straight face.

'What do you know of Queen Susan‟s horn?' The man in front of him said. He knew that only one wrong word could sentence him to livelong prison or worse. He had to be careful.

'It was said to be magic.' He tried.  Miraz already knew this but he just kept on staring at the professor. 'Magic?' He informed.

'The Narnians believed  it could summon their kings and queens of old. At least, such was the superstition.' He didn't want to mention the fact that the Narnians still believed this. Judging by the object buried in the book, he was sure this could never be just superstition. Miraz scanned his face while walking around his desk.

'And what does Caspian know of this superstition?' The regent said sweetly. He knew he already had him cornered and was aware that there was a huge chance that Caspian already knew something of the past but he wanted to see the desperate look in the Professors face.

'My lord, you forbade me from mentioning the old tales.' He tried but he could already hear the door behind him opening again. This was never just meant as an interrogation, this was a sentencing. 

'So I did'

Glozelle, the captain of the guards, stepped into his study. He moved closer and grabbed the old man's arm. This moment had been inevitable, the professor knew that for a fact. He had only hoped that maybe he could still have some time left.  Rage ran through his body when he faced the wretched King to-be. Anger for what he did to Adelaide, anger for him abandoning Caspian when he needed him most but most of all anger for letting all people within his territory suffer from his reign.

'I will say this.' He spit 'If Caspian does know of the deep magic, my lord would have good reason to be nervous.' Then they dragged him away towards the dungeons and the door closed with a harsh bang.

Miraz had taken the first step. Now it was time to become what he always wanted.

It was time to become king.

Authors Note:

I am so sorry for not uploading anything for almost half a year but I have been very busy with school lately. Now that Corona has taken over, I will have some time. there are probably very little readers left but THANK YOU FOR READING! <3