Chapter 5: Baboon

She urged the horse down the hill. A badger had appeared in the doorway of a small hut. It was carrying a straw and pointed it at her. A tiny object came flying past her head.
Poisonous darts.

Caspian was crawling on the ground while the dark dwarf walked forward. His sword pointed at Caspian's head. He was cleary in need of some help. She jumped off her horse and drew one of her daggers.

That's when a dart pierced her arm. She quickly pulled it out, but it was already too late. A burning sensation moved through her veins. She grunted and stumbled forwards. Her face got lit in the moonlight and the badger gasped for air. He had recognised her.

She saw Caspian reach for the horn.
'NO!' They all shouted in sync.

The sound of the horn filled the woods. How stupid was this guy? Before she could do anything, the dark dwarf had knocked caspian unconscious.

In the background she could see a blonde dwarf charging at the horde of guards. Courage, that is what that dwarf certainly possesed.

The dark dwarf turned, leaving caspian. He raised his sword at her and she rolled her daggers in her hand, ready to strike.

'STOP IT, NIKABRIK!' The badger came hurrying forward. 'Have you taken leave of your senses! Attacking a guardian of Narnia!'

The dwarf slowly lowered his sword and his mouth was standing open. The badger charged at him and pushed him over to the ground and sat down on his head. She could hear him struggling in the green cloud of gas that appeared. The smell, apparently, was so bad that he passed out and she laughed.

He moved off nikabrik and bowed to her. 'I am so sorry, my lady, Nikabrik has the tendency to be shortsighted.' He had a hopeful smile on his face. 'My name is Trufflehunter.'

'Call me Adelaide, my dear badger, how did you recognise me?' she asked, confused.

Trufflehunter opened his mouth to answer but the loud noise of the soldiers stopped them.

'We can save this for later, we only have a short time till your poison starts working and we must get your Telmarine and Nikabrik inside before the soldiers are here!' He hurried to Nikabrik and pulled him inside.

She walked over to the Telmar prince and tried to move him. It felt wrong to touch him in this state. She grabbed his arm and tried to pull him by it, but it went very slow. She had to get him in NOW. Eventhough it looked quite weird, she took both of his legs and started to pull him inside like he was a carriage and she a trained horse. Her ankle slipped a few times but eventually she managed to get him inside.

When she got inside the poison had fully spread and she collapsed onto Caspian.

————————————————————

When she woke up, a face was dangeling above hers. She quickly punched the person in the face.

smash

'How did I deserve that!?'
Caspian held his nose in his hands and grunted. She hoped she hadn't broken his nose but she couldn't help but chuckle.

'I am sorry, but you shouldn't be lurking around sleeping people. It's creepy.' She pushed herself up to sit. 'What were you doing, anyways?'

'I was just cleaning your face, but it seems to be a very dangerous activity.'

'Indeed it is.'

Her muscles ached and she could barely stand on two feet. Before she could collapse, Caspian pushed her back on the bed.

'I need to ask you some things, before the badger and dwarf take you away.' He sat down beside her. His eyes looked urgent.

'I can't promise you to answer everything, but I will try. Be quick.' She had said the same words multiple times to the professor. Adelaide missed him already.

'What is so special about that horn? The badger said that I was meant to save them because I blew it, but how?'

She sighed 'People believe - especially narnians- that the horn can bring back their kings and queens of old. The one that blows it, is meant to help the Narnians to a new era of peace.'

'So they expect me to wage war on my uncle?' He looked frightened.

'Yes, but you've known that this whole time. Cornelius didn't send you here to just relax.' She looked closely at him, his cockiness was gone for a moment. 'I will help you.'

His eyes looked grateful. Now he had at least one ally, but that was far from enough to beat his uncle. Still, he knew he was going to need her. When he woke up, he had a quick conversation with the Narnians. The dwarf had tried to kill him for the second time, but the Narnians seemed to have a strange sort of respect for her.

'Last question: Who are you exactly? why were you locked up?' He saw that this was the wrong question because he saw the pain in her eyes. She didn't want to think about her cell and shackles for a very long time. She opened her mouth, but trufflehunter - who was standing in the doorway - was first to speak.

'We call her "The Lady", but I believe you've had a lot of names over the years.' She nodded at him, glad that she did not have to explain herself. 'The girl you're sitting next to, Telmarine, is one of the most powerful magical creatures that ever roamed Narnia.'

She smirked at him and bowed cockily 'At your service.'

'So you're trying to make me believe this girl is thousands of years old. That is not possible, you look about 17!' He stood up and closed the door behind Trufflehunter. He probably didn't want Nikabrik to hear their conversation.

'I was there at the forging of worlds, yet my body and mind stay the same. Now that the magic has left Narnia, I am just a normal girl that stays young.' She looked Trufflehunter dead in the eye. Caspian looked at her, shocked.

'Close your mouth, otherwise you might catch flies. Now enough of the heavy talk, I have prepared soup.' He shoved caspian out of the room into the kitchen. She laughed at the sight of it.

They both sat down at the table. The chairs were way to small for them, making them look like giant toddlers. The room gave a cozy feeling, it had been a while since she last felt safe somwhere. She gulped the soup inside like it was her last meal in the living world. The taste-bomb left het starstruck. The only thing she had eaten in the castle were the monthly provisions of the professor. Caspian looked at her with disgust. She probably didn't look very lady-like.

'What?'

'Oh, its only the sight of you swallowing that soup like a human baboon.' he chuckled.

He was going to pay for that. She wished she had her powers right now, so she could swing him out of the window. Instead she just slowly looked up from her plate. This scared Caspian more than a punch to the face could have.

'Human baboon, huh? In the time that I was stuck in that dungeon, you probably never missed a meal. Do you even know what it feels like to starve, Telmarine princeling?'

'Don't call me that.'

'Then don't call me a human baboon.'

'But you are acting like one.'

She had enough. She swinged a fist at his face. He quickly ducked underneath and moved his chair a couple inches away from her. Before he could react she pulled the chair over and he fell flat on his back. He lifted his hands in defeat.

'ENOUGH, both of you' Trufflehunter barked at them. She moved away from his chair.

'I am going to wash myself.' She announced and walked out of the door.