Chapter 7: Friends

When Adelaide walked inside the hut, she saw Caspian, Nikabrik and Trufflehunter standing in a circle. They all looked up at her. She knew she looked miserable so she quickly walked past them to her room.

Caspian had never seen her clean. When she walked past him he couldn't stop staring. One thing that stood out most was her light hair. It seemed like it had been growing whiter and whiter.

Her shoulder brushed past his as she moved to her chamber. She was completely emiciated. Her eyes had looked up at him once. They said enough.

Adelaide knew that seeing herself like that would hurt, but she hadn't expected this. Pathetic.

She threw herself on the bed. Just a little bit of sleep would help, right now she couldn't think clearly. She could hear the door opening slowly. Caspian?

'You should eat some, Milady'
It was Trufflehunter.

'Please, call me Aid.' She sat down and put her arms around her knees. At least she could try to be nice to him.

He handed her a new bowl of soup and a loaf of white bread stuffed with butter. While she again attacked the meal, he silently sat down next to her.

'Thank you.' She mumbled, her whole mouth stuffed.

'I've also brought you some clothes.' He showed her a snowy white dress with silver patterns running all over it. She directly recognized it from her old wardrobe. 'I got these from my father and he from his father before him. They always said that it had belonged to you.'

'It did, yes. Thank you for keeping it. It was my favourite.' A small smile appeared on her lips again. She stretched out her hand to touch it. It still felt as soft as she could remember.

'Was he a nice man, your father?' She was always interested in parents, since she never had any. Not that she ever needed them.

'Well, yes, although many people don't believe it. He is the one that brought the first Narnians together a few years ago.' He explained

'I once knew a badger named Trunkhood, he was one of the commanders in the rebellion. I believe he was your great grandfather as you have my dress.' It felt nice to talk about things. She had been silenced for too long.

'What did you do before the rebellion, My lad- I mean Adelaide' He looked at her with quriosity.

'Before the rebellion I still had my magic. Most of the time I used it in the form of healing. Only there are some rules of magic, written at the stone table.' She clearly remembered that day, even if it was such a long time ago. It was like it was carved into her memory.

'Like what?'

'Magic can never completely vanish something. Traces will always be left.' The food was now all gone. Maybe Caspian was a little bit right, she did eat like an animal.

'What a shame that all the magic is gone now, I'd have loved to see it. Now it is impossible ofcourse.' He slowly shook his head.

'I don't think so.' She looked him straight in the eye. 'I can feel it slowly building up behind the scenes. It is waiting to appear.' She hadn't thought about this before, but it was true.

The two little claws of the badger grabbed hers. ' Are you sure? This could make all the difference in battle.'

'I am sure. You see my hair? Before the magic was lost it was completely white. Now it is slowly turning white again. See?' She held her hair in front of his face. 

The badger sprung up from her bed and shuffled to the door. He looked very happy. 'I must tell Nikabrik! We must send word to the other Narnians. He will be delighted.' 

The Journey (A Caspian love story) - BEING EDITEDOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara