Chapter 13: Exhausted

Adelaide still kept her eyes thightly shut. She knew the man in front of her would not hesitate to strip her of her dignity again.

It had changed her, all this brutality. Before the telmarine army came trampling everything in their way to victory, Adelaide had been different. She had travelled Narnia with pride and joy. The dungeon had narrowed everything down to a scared girl. Aslan would be surprised to see what had come of her. Well, if he ever saw her again, that is.

She didn't want to think about going back, now that there was no way out. There was one thing she knew for sure. She would never stop fighting.

Lord Fergus continued to kiss her and she could already feel the emotional breakdown coming up. After their escape, she had truly believed she was finally free. Caspian himself had told her so. While the old man moved his hand towards her privates, the tears started to fall down like a waterfall.

She continued to struggle when, suddenly,  the Lord was grabbed from behind. Air whooshed in her face as the space in front of her became empty.  What? Huh?

Her eyes opened and her knees collapsed from stress. Only, before she could hit the ground, someone took a hold of her and Aid was pressed against a chest.

Caspian.

The tears started to freely roam her face and she whimpered softly. Her hands were shaking and he took her into a deeper embrace.

'T-thank y-you' She said shakily. They stood there for a long time, before Adelaide spoke to herself sternly. This was not the place and time to break down. They still needed to get to the Narnians.

Caspian stretched out his arms to get a better look at her. 'Are you allright? Did he.. ?' He looked hesitant with those last words.

'No. I will survive.' She replied with a soft smile, already trying to build up her walls again.

Adelaide tried to steady herself against the tree but a hand slid around her waist and inched her closer again. 'Stay with me'

She wanted to refuse but really needed the support right now. Only, she barely knew this boy.

In the open space she saw the three men laying on their back. Dead. Blood came gushing out of their wounds, but before she could take a closer look, Caspian had turned her away and started walking.  A large mouse was standing on the edge of the clearing. He looked at her shocked and full of sympathy.

'My lady, It is an honour' He bowed with his hand on the hilt of something that looked like a large needle.  The smile she started before grew wider. 'My name is Reepicheep, at your service.' He looked kind of cute but she did not dare to say it. She wiped away the last tears. 'I think my eyes are failing me. This can't be true!'

'Please, stand, my dear friend.' Now they were the only persons left in the place. She couldn't spot Nikabrik or Trufflehunter anywhere. 'Where are the others?'

When she turned to Caspian who was observing her with a strange expression. Her hands were still shaking so she did not dare to move away from his arms.

'I think they must have lost us during running.' He said stiffly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caspian was closely staring at her. The mouse had offered to take them to the Narnian's encamptment. Adelaide and himself walked in utter silence as Reepicheep began rattling about how wonderful it was to see a guardian.

When he saw the old man restraining her, his mind had gone ways it had never gone before. He had roughly pulled the man away and had plunged his dagger in the man's throat. The Lord had deserved a much worse fate than death. But that was not what left him speechless while strudding forward.

She tried to cover it all up but he had seen it. The undisguisable complete horror that was marked on her soft face. The past week she had seemed fairly unbreakable and he had gotten on her nerves countless times. He wanted to help her. This was too much for one person to carry around on its own, though she had done it for almost 17 years. Damn.

Above all he was angry at himself for being so stupid. Arguing, patronizing, all of it.

The trees were surely closing in and Adelaide stepped out from his arm. Her hands were still trembling when they entered yet another open place before a slope with several levels. Upon eacht level different tents were placed, together with campfires. It had already started to get darker.

Upon arriving, they were awaited by a female and male centaur. Caspian had already seen the latter after his ecounter with Reepicheep. When seeing Adelaide they swiftly bowed. She looked like she was not really paying attention and acknowledged them with a quick nod. The male centaur introduced himself as Glenstorm.

The Narnians noticed that they barely reacted.

'You must be wary after your journey here. We have set up some new tents so you can rest for a bit. Tomorrow in the evening we shall have a meeting to discuss your fate.' He said with a low voice and moved away into the camp.

Finally the female centaur spoke. 'Trufflehunter and Nikabrik have already moved to Jessie, our healer.'  She had brown mane and a pointy face. 'My name is Windmane, Glenstorm's wife. I will escort you to your tents.'

The centaur led them through the wood up the hill. Adelaide walked before him. At the top there was some sort of pit with a big campfire in the middle. That was were they would have the meeting tomorrow, windmane explained.

They were dropped off at two tents at the top of the hill and the centaur scurried off, leaving them alone.

'You should sleep.' He stated. Adelaide turned around with a harsh look in her eyes.

'You should too.' She countered but all the fight had left her. Although he had saved her, she was still a little angry about him cutting her off. Now he started to act just like Peter.

He looked a bit confused at her stern look but she left him no words and whirled around into the tent. She was both physically and mentally exhausted. 

Adelaide had already fallen asleep before her head touched the pillow.

-------

Author's Note:

Thank you very much for the reactions! You do not know what it means to me. Now I felt a bit guilty for not updating that much so here you have another chapter. Hope y' all enjoyed it although this one is a bit short. I just kind of owed it to you. Now I feel as sleepy as Adelaide so good night!