Chapter 1: A visitor in the night

She had been imprisoned and shackled for over 17 years now.
The endless rows of lines across the wall gloomed ominous in the candle light. She had no idea whether it was day or night. She just lied there on the flat rock that was supposed to serve as a bed, trying to stare herself into oblivion till the professor came.

She wondered how her friends, the old Narnians, were doing. She would never know what went on in the outside world. After being captured she started imagining what happened in the outside world, making up stories in her mind. Not in a mad way but just entertaining herself as there were no things to distract herself in the empty cell.

The last thing she remembered was being knocked down in the middle of a battlefield full of ashes.
The Telmarines.
The Telmarines had caused all this misery. Still, she did not hate them.
Every 2 weeks -when the worst guards had duty-  Master Cornelius came down to feed her properly and talk to her. He told her only the most important things. 

Little people knew of her presence in the castle -  only the king/regent, the Master Cornelius and Master Argentus.
The latter had a severe illness due to his old age and was expected to pass away any time now. Only master Cornelius truly knew who she was, as he had studied the old tales since he was a young boy. She was always there to fill the gaps in his stories.

She was there.
At the stone table. When all the old magic was formed an guided. The rules were made. 

Ever since she had been living a quiet life and a noble life. She healed people from all over the world that would come to her. She could take away their injuries and suffer them herself. The stone table said that magic could never fully erase things. As she was immortal at the time, she would never die, only feel. That was only a small part of her power.

When the white witch took power, everything in Narnia became cold. The white witch captured her friend badgers Amada and Jules, together with all other animals. She agreed to stay hidden so that her friends could live. It didn't matter after all as the witch had already killed all of them.

While she was busy thinking about the past, she didn't notice someone opening the door.  She stood up suddenly to look at her visitor, a sharp pain was moving through her right ankle.
Master Cornelius.

'We must be quick today, Lady Adelaide, as they've changed the guards' He said while opening a bag full of food supplies to throw an apple at her. She caught it easily and started eating greedily.

She mumbled  'thank you' through pieces of apple. 'You are indeed quite early today, is something the matter?'

He put the bag of supplies in a secret hole in the wall and slowly turned around. 'I need to ask you something, urgently. It is about the kings and queens of old. I have been studying queen Susan's horn the last few years and I believe that I have found it.' He revealed a shining horn from behind his back and she recognised it immediately.

'That is indeed her horn master Cornelius, but where did you find it?' she said. The horn was known to be missing for quite some time. She reached out to have a closer look.

'I located the old ruins of Cair Paravel with the instructions you gave 4 months ago and I found it nearby the woods. Have you heard the rumours?'
She let her fingers trail along the curve of the horn. She knew what he was referring to.

'It is said that the horn could bring back the kings and queens of old.' She answered.

'Well, I was wondering if you might know more about the horn. As you've known them in real life.' he said. She could clearly see the hope in his eyes.
Her past was nothing new to him.

After the white witch, Adelaide had returned to Narnia. She had wanted to meet the new kings and queens. At the coronation she spoke with Aslan and discussed the matter with her oldest friend. She was to be watching over them as he would serve their purpose in this world. To guide and help all the people in need.

She stayed with the kings and queens for almost 10 years and saw them grow into their knew roles. After those 10 years -when whole Narnia was at peace- she left with Aslan to go back to healing those in need. 5 years later she had felt the magic change and when she travelled back she found Narnia in the hands of the Telmarines. When she finally reached Cair Paravel, which was filled with dead bodies, she felt something snap as she collapsed to the ground.
Magic was lost.

She turned to face the carvings in the wall. Her expression blank. Master Cornelius was no longer watching a scared girl but an exhausted mythical being.
'What exactly do you want to know?' she asked.

'Is it true, does the horn bring back the kings and queens? Is it possible?' he said.

She turned to face him. A thoughtful look on her face. 'Blow the horn in times of need and help will come. I am sure of that. It is possible that all that is needed right now is the return of the old kings and queens to free narnia,  which means that blowing the horn will bring them back.' She said.

Master Cornelius said nothing and took back the horn to look at it with awe.
'It is very likely that it is true but it depends on the one that blows it. What does that person need. What do you think?' She wasn't exactly sure. Sudden doubt overcame him.

'I think you might be right, Adelaide, but who should be the person to blow it? Who desperately needs them back?'
She saw him looking at her with a familiar look that said: maybe you? She gave a quick smile and changed to a different subject.

'How are the tensions in the palace?'
He sat down at her 'bed', like he needed the support. He only then looked up at her.

'Miraz his wife will soon give birth to a baby. Which means prince Caspian might be in danger.'

Cornelius often talked about the Prince. After his father died he was supposed to become King once he comes of age. Professor Cornelius was given the task to educate him. He and the Prince have a special connection.

She had seen him once, one month ago, when he tried to get back to his chambers from sparring. They had held eachothers gaze for several seconds, his warm brown eyes with her violet-blue eyes, until a guard had escorted him out of the room.

If Miraz would be given a son, he would at last have an heir and might try to kill Caspian in order to become king.

'Is there a way to get him out of the castle when the time comes?' she asked while she sat down next to him. The old man looked at her with worry.
'There are plenty of ways, the only problem is that he has no idea of Miraz' intentions. It will be hard to get him to leave and... '
He was interrupted by a sound from upstairs. Her muscles tensed.

'You need to go, NOW' she whispered.
He jumped to his feet and walked to the door. He swiftly turned.
'Thank you for everything you have done for me Adelaide, I have tried every way to get you out of here and I will keep on trying. May one of the guards decide to touch you again, use this!' He pushed a small dagger into her hand. Then he disappeared. Leaving her alone in the darkness.

After Doctor Cornelius left, she lay down and slept till she heard a scraping  sound. A plate with one slice of dusty bread and cold stew was shoved  inside the cell. When she moved to pick it up, the shackle around her right ankle made loud noises. Right before she reached the plate her ankle collapsed with a scream and painful cramps went through her leg and foot. She rolled herself into a ball and hissed through her teeth.

This wasn't the first time it had happened. Her ankle was covered in scars and raw flesh. She heard gniffeling sound behind her but couldn't move to see who was laughing at her. The laughing filled her with anger.

Two guards walked into her cell and took her by her arms, her body still shaking as they moved her to the rock.
She struggled in their grip.
Then they suddenly both let go.

The tallest guard opened his mouth and said: 'The King will come to visit you, make yourself presentable'.

The second guard drew out a pale brown dress and threw it at her together with a mirror and they both left the room.

She was shocked, the king didn't often come to see her. It could only mean few things: He was at last going to kill her.