Chapter 11: The start of the journey

Adelaide woke up earlier in the morning. She felt nervous for leaving these lovely hosts without saying a word. It felt like treason. Trufflehunter and Nikabrik had given them food, shelter and clothing. Caspian had of course been very clear that he didn't want the badger and the dwarf to come with them, but somehow she couldn't leave them with nothing. After she had been forgotten and left behind for so long, the thought of leaving people was hard for her. Telling Caspian that was out of the question, she didn't want to be a burden. She knew she needed someone to help fight the darkness in her mind and heal the part that had been broken but she knew of no one. She secretly hoped the Pevensies would return to Narnia but she didn't dare to think of it too much.

She wrote a letter to Trufflehunter, saying she was sorry and would send more letters.  Caspian would possibly be annoyed with her but she was willing to take her chances this time. The letter now rested on the round table as she packed up.

The ointments Trufflehunter used for her ankle where never to be found and grunted. This would be a painful trip. Her ankle looked way better than before but deep bumpy scars could be spotted below her dress. Adelaide packed some foodstuffs, black pants, some long white blouses from Caspian, A belt with daggers, paper, The bladed bow and some leather bands to tie her hair. Now it had turned a solid white and she smiled at her reflection in the overhanging mirror.

Thoughts began running through her head. How was the Professor doing? Miraz probably already found out about him helping them. Maybe he was even hanged already. She pushed the thought away.

She started thinking about Aslan. He probably had a lot of trouble coming back to Narnia but she knew in her heart that he would do everything in his power to help her. After all, he was her oldest friend. If she would have access to her magic, it would be possible to summon him but right now she just had to wait out the storm.

She jumped up from a sound behind her. Caspian was standing in his doorway. He was lightly packed and was wearing  the same baggy blouse that he was wearing yesterday. Adelaide couldn't quite comprehend yet what had happened. There was again some tension between them but this time it felt different.

He looked at her with a searching look, like if he couldn't quite understand what was standing before him. In the darkness she could barely make out his features. Then suddenly she could make out a smile.

'Goodmorning Aid.' He whispered.  They're eyes locked and for a brief moment she could see his emotions.  He was afraid aswell but also thought this was the best way.

'Goodmorning Cas.' She said. After yesterday, she wanted to use a nickname just as he had done. To mark their friendship or just plainly their surrender. Caspian smiled at her again. The silence seemed to linger on. There were still so many things unspoken.

'We better not keep the Narnians waiting' He replied before stepping out of the little cottage.

-------------------------------------------------------
                                       •
-------------------------------------------------------

They were all slowly walking through the woods. Susan loved Narnia but she kept on seeing the same line of trees spreading out before them. The males were already way ahead of her. Peter had taken the lead directly. He was really trying too hard to look like the gracious king he was before they left. She sped up to walk next to Lucy, who was the only one to clinge to positivity.

'How can you keep those high spirits when you know the whole of Narnia is in trouble? When you know our best friends are chained up and surpressed? I don't get it.' She tried not to sound accusingly but horribly failed.