Chapter 15: Just Talking

'I need your help'.

He was leaning against the tent pole nonchalantly, but you could clearly see the circles under his eyes.

'Thats one kind of greeting' She remarked, slowly crossing her arms to mimic his nonchalance.

'I need your help' He said without moving a muscle.

'Yeah, you've said that'. In the distance she could hear the narnians laughing around the main campfire. She wished she could be there now.

'Okay, I know we've had issues' Caspian muttered while gesturing with his arms. 'But the longer I've been walking around this camp, the more I've realised this isn't going to work without a proper plan. I'm gonna have to go all out for a chance for revenge'.

'Revenge? I thought this was about equality and basic rights' He could not be serious right now. 'I know you've had a wakeup call quite recently about our existence, but you could at least try to appear like you care for these people' She had to stop herself from getting too heated.

'You know that's not what I meant, please stop acting like this.' He replied coolly. This only made her look more nastily at him. 'I thought we had a connection.'

'Do. Not. Patronise. Me.' She could feel her magic gathering in the pit of her stomach. This reminded her an awful lot of Peter and his egotistical behaviour.

'Do not just stand there and tell me my views and emotions are invalid. Maybe I should remind you more of who you're talking to. I don't care if you like me or not but you can at least respect me.' Her words were lined with a venom that could kill ten grown elephants.

'You know what, never mind..' She straightened her back and turned to walk away, when Caspian suddenly grabbed her arm and spoke softly. He went from serious to downright tired.

'I'm sorry, okay? I never meant to hurt you and I still hold by my promise. You don't even know how much I've been beating myself up over it.'

The day had been hard on him. Everywhere he looked, people had been staring at him with disgust. Probably more directed at his people, than him personally but it still stung. He had been so fricking ignorant.

There was a clear difference between the level of hate though. Some had gazes filled to the brim with hate, while others were just straight up uncomfortable. He wasn't really used to many people disliking him. Especially in the palace, everyone had seemed to like him. Of course he was not utterly stupid, he knew that most of these friendships weren't sincere but still...

'.. And for the other matter. My father is just a very sensitive topic and I didn't realise how much it would affect you. ' His voice broke at the mention of his father but he kept going. 'Additionally, since you still hate me, it hasn't been exactly easy here. Everyone looks at me like I'm a tyrant. Only trufflehunter came to talk to me and basically told me I'm screwed.' His voice sounded more and more distressed as he kept on rambling.

He didn't even register her quiet 'Calm down, Cas' and went on.

'I even had a kid come up to me today saying: "You killed my father, I hate you". What am I supposed to do?! Tell him I'm sorry. Like how is that going to help!? ... I guess Nikabrik is already plotting my demise and —'

He stopped when she suddenly threw her arms around him and hugged him. Warmth engulfed him and he almost started crying. 'Man up you idiot' he thought. She smelled of leaves and all things of nature. He slowly closed his arms around her waist, as if afraid to break her.

He had done things with girls before but the hug felt more intimate and emotional. He closed his eyes to take in the moment.

They stayed like that for a couple of seconds before Adelaide slowly let loose. Her cheeks were starting to grow red in the lantern light. 'Calm down' she repeated again.