Chapter 3: A Son

Caspian was sleeping when a hand tightened around his mouth. He gave a small yelp of surprise that was muffled by the hand. Next to his bed stood professor Cornelius, gesturing him to be quiet. He expected the professor to take him stargazing so he turned around in his bed.

'Five more minutes' he said lazily and tried to close his eyes.

'You won't be watching the skies tonight, my prince' He said while scanning the room as if he was looking for attackers. 'Come! We must hurry'

The serious look on his face confused Caspian. Hurry for what?
The professor grabbed Caspians arm and practically shoved him out of bed. Caspian sensed something was terribly off.

'Professor, what is going on?' He said, barely able to hide his fright.

The professor quickly turned around.
'Your aunt has given birth...  to a son'
The last words were echoeing ominous in the room. He turned around to a hidden closet, leaving a startled caspian behind.

The professor had explained the situation to Caspian months ago, he believed that his uncle wanted to get rid of Caspian to take his throne. Caspian didn't believe it back then. His uncle had always been nothing but good to him. Still, he quickly moved inside the closet while leaving the door slightly opened.

In the dark room he could see Glozelle and his men entering his bedroom. All were armed with crossbows. Caspian froze in his place, unable to move. He saw the soldiers pointing their bows at his bed. Then you could hear a dozen of twangs. The arrows shot right through the curtains into a bed that was still warm from caspians body. He thought his eyes were failing him, but it was unmistakable.
Uncle Miraz had tried to kill him.

He quickly walked after the professor before the guards would come looking for him. He followed the professor down the slippery stairs.

'Where are we going?' He asked. They were going much further down than the ground levels.

'To the dungeons, we need to free someone that might help you.' The professor explained while passing a glance backwards. In the chaos of his nephews birth, there would be no guards left below.

'Help me with what?' He said, trying to keep his voice from trembling.

The professor turned around and halted in front of him. 'My prince, you must listen carefully now' he said while staring caspian directly into the eyes.
'Your uncle has attempted to kill you and you can no longer reside in the palace. I need you to flee.' He gripped Caspians arm tightly. 'I have one horse ready for you outside, you must ride and not look back! do you understand me?' 

Caspian gave a quick nod and they hurried on.

When they entered the dungeons it was completely dark, except for one candle burning in the furthest cell. Master Cornelius walked there and shouted 'My lady, can you hear me?'.

Caspian stumbled behind the professor, trying to get a closer look at a dark figure in the corner. He could hear fireworks exploding outside, meaning that they didn't have much time left.

A soft grunt came from the cell, followed by a surprised voice.
'Professor!'

The dark figure crawled to the light of the candle and what he saw left him shocked. A girl was lying in the cell, covered in dirt. Her ankle was chained up to a hook in the wall. The sight made him wonder what someone could have done to deserve such living conditions. Her clothes were ragged and the girl could barely stand on two feet. Another sign of Miraz' cruelty.

The professor handed Caspian the keys while he was talking. 'I can free you, but we have to hurry as the guards must have noticed Caspian's absence.'

The cell swinged open as the persons eyes settled on his. He immediately recognized the eyes. A while ago he had seen those same eyes. Her face looked worried and pale as she turned to the professor. 

'You shouldn't have brought him here, he should've been gone by now!' Fire was burning in her eyes as the professor lit the torches on the walls.

He could finally see the prisoner. A too skinny figure was trying to stand up. Her whole body was clearly underfed. Still he could see her beauty. The determined voilet eyes and her dirt covered body held huge strength. Someone that couldn't be broken. He admired her for it.

Caspian moved to open the shackle around her ankle. 'He might need you on his journey, someone to connect to the Narnians.' The professor explained.

Caspian touched her ankle and her body flinched under his touch. He could see the raw flesh full of scars. He tried not to think about it too much, otherwise he would collapse. He doubted if she would ever be able to walk normally again.

She took over the keys from him and gave a cold look. 'I can do that myself' she said.  When she opened the shackle the whole wound was exposed and she grunted as air touched her skin.

The professor helped her up, standing on just one leg. She reached for a secret hole in the wall. 'We must move, Adelaide. There is no time' 

Her name seemed somehow familiar to him from his history lessons. He decided to leave it be.

He and the professor both supported her with one hand till they reached the stables.

She pulled herself loose to try to hop on one leg, she would not spend her first moments of freedom like that. She set one step outside too look around the courtyard.
She breathed the fresh air and let out a sigh. She could clearly hear the fireworks outside and couldn't help to feel hopeful for the future.

Authors Note
hello!
What do you think till now?
Please leave a comment❤️
X