Chapter 118

"Don't think for a second I didn't notice how you smoothly changed the subject last night," said Jenna the next day as her and Lily were making their way down to the Potions' classroom along with Alice.

      Marlene, however, was sleeping in their dorm, happy that she didn't have to study Potions for her N.E.W.Ts.

     "I don't know what you're talking about," said Lily, badly suppressing her grin as they interred the classroom and took their usual seats.

       They were early as usual, but leave it to Sirius and James to be the last to enter the class, only a few minutes before Slughorn's arrival.

       "Hello, ladies," said Sirius, smiling at the three girls charmingly as him and James walked toward them.

        "Do you mind if us two lone souls joined you at your table today?" said James, slightly pouting.

       "Oh, stop being so dramatic and just sit down, J.P," said Jenna with a grin, watching James's face lit up.

       "Where's Remus?" Alice asked as the boys sat down next to them.

       "Yeah," said Lily, nodding, "I know Peter didn't get into the O.W.Ls last year either, but how about Remus?"

         "He dropped Potions," Sirius answered. "He never liked brewing to begin with. I actually wish I could drop it too."

"Then why don't you?" Jenna asked.

"Because unfortunately it's needed if we want to become Aurors," said James, gesturing between himself and Sirius.

"Ooh! I want to apply for that job after Hogwarts too!" said Alice excitedly. "Although, with you it might be easier to get in. Your parents have got great posts there, don't they?"

"Yeah, but Jenna and I can ask them to help you out, if you're interested," James suggested with a shrug.

"Ooh, that would be amazing! Thank you!" said Alice happily, clapping her hands together.

"What would you want to do after Hogwarts?" James asked Lily.

"I was thinking of becoming a healer," she said confidently. "It's supposed to be a really hard profession, but —"

"But I'm sure you'll manage it just fine," James said and cut her off, causing Lily to go slightly pink.

"You know, now that I think of it," Sirius started, turning to face Jenna, "I never asked you what you wanted to do."

"I — I haven't really thought about it yet," said Jenna, looking away and taking out her books from her bag to avoid their glances.

"You know, Jen," Lily started, "it is expected from Marlene to not know what she wants to do after graduating, but I thought at least you would have some thought about your future."

"Honestly, I came to realize in these past two years that there are more important things," said Jenna quietly.

"More important than your career?" Lily raised a brow at her.

"Yes," Jenna muttered mostly to herself, but before Lily could press the matter any further, to her great relief Slughorn walked into the classroom, silencing them all.

"Settle down, settle down," he said with a smile, walking toward the head of the room.

He then soon started explaining about the Golpalott's Third Law and all Jenna managed to understand was that it had something to do with poisons.

She felt herself growing drowsy and found it almost impossible to listen to him anymore. But she wasn't alone; even Sirius was resting his head on the table, obviously dozing off.

The only person around their table who seemed both interested in the subject and understanding, was Lily, who was briskly taking notes.

"Therefore, in conclusion," Slughorn said more loudly, snapping Jenna awake as she was slowly drifting to sleep, "the antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components — yes, Miss Evans?"

He pointed at Lily who had raised her hand, and so she said, "But, sir, wouldn't be easier perhaps to just give the person a Bezoar?"

The class turned to look at Slughorn who stared at Lily for a few seconds before bursting out in laughter.

"You have a wonderful unique mind, Miss Evans! Absolutely wonderful!" Slughorn chuckled. "Yes, you're quite right. That would be much easier. Ten points to Gryffindor."

Slughorn then soon went on explaining about different poisons and their antidotes and Jenna gave a miserable sigh.

But her eyes widened when she suddenly felt a hand on her thigh from under the table.

Turning her head slowly to face Sirius who was casually sitting next to her, she saw that he was wearily watching ahead, as if he weren't doing anything out of ordinary.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jenna leaned forward and hissed, but Sirius only grinned.

"Shh, I'm trying to listen to the lesson," he muttered, his eyes fixed on Slughorn, even though he obviously wasn't listening.

"You're unbelievable, Black!" Jenna said angrily in a quiet tone, glaring at him.

"Thank you, Jenny."

Jenna shook her head at him and tried to ignore him to the best of her abilities, but it was getting harder when Sirius started moving his fingers upwards and she cursed herself over and over for wearing a skirt that day.

"Stop making me a victim of your boredom!" Jenna whispered, removing his hands as she smacked it on the knuckle.

"And you stop acting like you don't enjoy it," said Sirius with a handsome grin, looking at her sideways through his grey eyes.

Jenna didn't answer and just cleared her throat, turning to face Slughorn and trying to finally listen to what he was saying, not being able to hide her smile.

       This was going to be a long year, yet peaceful and enjoyable. Or at least, this was what they thought, oblivious to what awaited them ahead.