Chapter 03

Jenna had so often been to McGonagall's office that she claimed that she could get there even if you blindfolded her.

But she was pretty sure she hadn't done anything this time. What could McGonagall possibly want with her at this hour of the night and so early in the term?

     When she reached the office, Jenna knocked and opened the door after hearing a faint, 'come in'.

     "Professor, you wanted to see me?"

     "Yes, Miss Potter," said McGonagall from behind her desk. "Please come in and close the door behind you."

     Jenna did as she was told, walking inside hesitantly, still thinking what she could have possibly done that had gotten her into trouble.

     "Miss Potter, you're still interested in Quidditch, I hope?"

     Frowning in confusion, Jenna said without thinking, "Of course."

     "Good," said McGonagall, standing up. "Because I'm most unfortunate to inform you that your old captain has left Hogwarts and–"

     "–What? But – but Michael still had another year at Hogwarts! We really needed him this year! We almost had the Quidditch cup last year! How could he–!"

     "–If you let me finish, you will know," McGonagall said impatiently, cutting her off. She then continued, "As you know, the rumors that the Dark Lord is rising has been flying all over the place. And I'm afraid, families with the blood status such as Michael Collins... well... his parents saw it necessary to leave the country for the time being."

     Jenna remained silent. Suddenly what was going to happen to their Quidditch team didn't matter anymore.

     "Miss Potter, you've been on Gryffindor's team the longest." McGonagall went on. "Usually second years don't make the team's seeker; I mean it's not rare, but surely you've always been a good player since then. So I was thinking to make you the Quidditch Captain."

     Jenna's eyes widened, being caught off guard. "R-really?"

      "Of course." McGonagall smiled lightly. "Mr. Collins left so urgently that I didn't have the time to let you know by letter. I know it's hard accepting this spot, having the OWLs this year. So if you don't accept it, I will completely understand. Mr. Potter is also an amazing player, even though he got on the team a year after you. So if you decline–"

     "–I'd be honored to accept, Professor." said Jenna with a wide smile.

     "Great! Then come to me for the booking of the pitch for the tryouts first thing tomorrow morning." McGonagall informed. "Off you go, now."

     "Thank you, Professor. Goodnight."

     Exiting the office, Jenna hopped the whole way back to the Gryffindor common room. She was so happy and excited, as if her birthday had come earlier.

     But then she stopped in her tracks, realizing something.

     Becoming Gryffindor's captain was great, but then again, it also meant that she had to deal with James and Sirius who were also on the team.

***

"Woah! Quidditch Captain!" Lily exclaimed in excitement.

"Didn't know you had it in you." Marlene said with a proud grin on her lips.

"That's amazing, Jen!" said Alice kindly, holding onto Jenna's arm as they walked.

"Wait to see Potter's face when he hears you got the job rather than him." Marlene said evilly. "Just heard him and Black talking back in the common room about Mike leaving Hogwarts. All four of them were betting on who was going to be the next captain; James or Sirius. Oh, wait till they hear that it's you!"

They all laughed, sitting down at the Gryffindor table. They helped each other with bacons and eggs, enjoying the peace and quiet, which was bound to be broken the moment the Marauders walked in the Great Hall.

Spotting Jenna from the doorway, James and Sirius frowned in fury.

"YOU!" James yelled and pointed at Jenna, speeding up along with Sirius towards where she was sitting, as Jenna was in the middle of biting her toast.

"Looks like they've figured it out." Alice stated, pouring herself some orange juice peacefully.

"You are the new Captain!?" James spat when they reached her, looking half angry and half shocked.

"Well, good morning to you too, J.P." Jenna said to him, unable to suppress her arrogant grin.

"Did you bribe McGonagall to give you the spot?" Sirius narrowed his eyes warningly at her as Remus and Peter caught up with them as well, watching the scene in amusement from a safe distance.

"You might wanna be more careful with me, Black," said Jenna calmly, "or you might not even get on the team this year."

Sirius opened his mouth a few times, but having nothing to say, closed it again. Remus had decided better to sit down at the table and start his breakfast, skimming through his new book of Potions which Slughorn had told them to buy. But Peter still remained near James and Sirius, watching them with fascination.

"You get mean when you've got powers, Jenny." Sirius snarled. "It doesn't suit you."

"We'll see about that," she said with a smile, standing up from her seat, the other three girls following her action. "Good day to you, boys. Don't be late for tryouts on Tuesday. Seven o'clock, sharp."

And so the four girls walked to their first class, giggling all the way down to the Potions classroom, leaving James and Sirius in a mess of fury and jealousy in the Hall.

"Hang on," Sirius turned to James, frowning. "She didn't say seven a.m or p.m!"

James huffed in frustration. "Damn it, Jenna!"