12: The Truths Exposed - Part I - Liam

Start from the beginning

     “Come on in, fellas. Make yourselves home,” Kyle’s mom was a gorgeous, blonde lady. It was hard to imagine she had a son Kyle’s age!

     We threw our bags aside while we got comfortable in their Czech-themed living room. There was silence, except for the sound of their wall-mounted HD flat screen, the movie “Mean Girls” playing, and the crackling of the fireplace beneath the T.V.

     I voiced my thoughts, “Guys, Idon’t have a good feeling.”

     “About what,” Evan asked nonchalantly, his eyes focused on the screen.

     “Gary Washington and his friends. Those guys are known for the mischief they cause, and I get a vibe they’re going to mess with us.”

     “Don’t sweat over that,” the resident of the home began, “they’re seniors. They’re not dumb enough to try something aweek before graduation and risk their diplomas.”

     “Which gives them all the more reason to plan something outside of school.”

     “Knight, listen,” Kyle looked away from the movie and punched me inthe arm playfully, “Washington and those guys just like picking with us because we’re more popular than them, and we’re freshmen. Coach likes us better, because we play the game better than them. We’re smarter, and not to mention sexier!”

     Evan perked up, “Damn right we are!”

     I chuckled and looked away, Kyle wrapped his arms around our necks, “We’re the Three Kings of Livingston. Now stop worrying about nonsense. Let’s talk about summer plans!”

     And so we did.

     We talked about our summer plans, and that’s when Kyle revealed that he decided to go study abroad for the next couple of years. We were talking about the plans up until nightfall, I remember. Asking questions, periodically trying to talk him out of it, then finally giving in and congratulating him in the end. Everything was going perfect, until his parents left us alone- and his servants were done for the day- that’s when things got scary.

     A loud banging noise from the front yard caught our attention, and we all looked at each other, as if trying to decide who was going to go check it out. Our dumbasses decided to watch a scary movie just before too, and it turned us into a bunch of little pussies.

     Kyle volunteered as tribute, “Fine, I’ll go see.”

     “No, don’t,” Evan screeched, reaching out to him, “that’s how the killer gets in! One of us goes to check, the killer grabs him, then slinks his way in to get the rest! That’s how this shit goes!”

     I rolled my eyes and stood up off the couch, following behind Kyle, “Fine, then I’ll go with him. The ‘killer’ can’t get two of us at once.”

     “Nuh uh! That’s how I get killed! While you two go investigate, the killer finds another way in the house, and kills the one left alone first. Have you not been paying attention to the movie,” he followed behind us as well, “I’m coming too!”

     We chuckled silently to ourselves, looking at Evan while he tries putting on a strong face. Although he succeeded, that blush on his face told us he didn’t want to be left out anyways.

     Anyway, we headed to the door, and Kyle looked out the peephole. He glanced out for a good minute until he said, “There’s nothing there.”