Thirty Three

The following chapter contains some mature content; don't say I didn't warn you. Carry on.

Shawn's POV

I leave immediately after my talk with Peter. I'm on my way to the playhouse.

I need to see Sunshine.

I need to have that talk.

I need to kiss her and hold her.

I need to see her happy and smiling one last time before I reveal the truth.

The car stops and I realise that we are already here. I had dropped my luggage at my apartment before coming here. I step out of the car and walk towards the door.

As I get closer, I hear inaudible voices. I increase my pace, walking until the voices sound clearer.

"I don't like you at all, but yet I am still warning you. A leopard cannot change its spots for anyone, you may think Shawn will change because of you but I assure you that that is exactly what Silver thought and look where that got her." the first person says and just by what was said I know it's Ruby.

"Silver and I are polar opposites contrary to what you believe. In her case Shawn clarified that it was purely physical, but yet she fell for him, she fell for his wealth too. I fell for the real Shawn; the one that no one else has seen but me. I believe that he truly cares about me because I truly care about him." Sunshine. Her words bring calmness to the storm that's been brewing inside me since I left Peter's office. I reduce my pace, wanting to hear her say more pleasant things about me. Who knows, it may be the last time.

"You're no different from the legions before you Sunshine, so don't kid yourself." Ruby spits. She does not understand what she's talking about.

"It's pointless talking to you." Sunshine says and I hear footsteps.

"You're leaving in a fool's paradise, Sunshine!" Ruby yells. "You're in denial; you need to understand that there is no place for you. Not here, and definitely not in Shawn's heart!"

Suddenly there is silence; deafening silence.

The sound I hear next causes me to run. I'm shocked at the sight before me; Sunshine is pressing Ruby against the wall and choking her while Ruby gasps for air.

"What are you doing!" I yell, but Sunshine doesn't even flinch. I take long strides and wrap my arms around Sunshine's waist, pulling her off Ruby. Ruby bends gasping for air and I release Sunshine.

"What was that?" I yell.

She looks from me to Ruby, confused. "I-I don't know... I zoned out." She says. "Ruby, are you okay?" she asks turning to Ruby. What just happened?

Ruby coughs and stands straight. "How dare you put your filthy hands on me?"

"I'm sorry...I... I don't know... what happened." Sunshine says while rubbing her temples.

"Sorry? You're sorry? Are you crazy?" Ruby is about to go to Sunshine, but I step in between them.

"Ruby, calm down. She's unaware of what she just did." I say calmly.

"Unaware! Trust Shawn Phillips to make excuses for his latest bed warmer." Ruby spits.

"Ruby." I warn.

"The both of you are pathetic!" Ruby yells.

"I'm so sorry Ruby, I didn't mean to..." Sunshine starts.

"Save it! The both of you deserve each other." Ruby glares at us before walking away.

I turn to Sunshine who is still shaken up by what she just did. "Are you okay?" I ask.