Twenty two

Jermany's POV

The moment I got to my room, I slept the entire day. Today I was going to see Eva. I shower and put on a red sundress, leaving my hair down so it can dry naturally. I walk to Eva's room, knock twice before entering.

"Jerma!" Eva hugs me tightly. After we break apart, I give her a slow once over. She has on a blue knee-length dress and her hair is in a tight bun on her head. Her lips are crimson red. I look around the room and notice a small table in the middle with a small cake on it. The cake has a single unlit candle on top of it. Before I can ask what's going on, we hear a knock on the door. Eva opens it to reveal Maddie. She has on a yellow a-shaped gown and she packed her hair into two buns on her head. She also has some light make-up on. What was going on?

"Is today someone's birthday?" I ask, puzzled.

Eva walks to the table and lights the candle on top of the cake. She beckons to me and Maddie -who are standing by the door- to come closer and we do but, unlike Maddie, I'm confused. We stand around the table with Eva in the middle. Eva and Maddie hold hands, and Eva holds my hand. The room suddenly grows quiet, and I watch Eva close her eyes, inhaling and exhaling before opening them again.

"Today, a year ago, I lost the love of my life; my boyfriend, Micah. We met in Mexico before they sent me to the playhouse. He used to always come to visit me here in New York, and Shawn always let him despite Peter's disapproval. He always came every 3 months until around this time last year when he missed his visiting day." I already know where this was going. "Micah was a frontline soldier in the war. On April 9th, 2018 I received a letter from Pablo -his best friend and my childhood friend- telling me he was..." Eva pauses and sniffs trying but failing to fight back tears.

I squeeze her hand as a sign of support. "You don't have to continue Eva; I already understand the significance of today to you." I say.

"But, that's not all. Today is far more important, right Eva?" Maddie says. What was she talking about?

Eva nods before continuing. "I was pregnant at the time when I received the letter; I was already 7 months in." Oh God. "I don't know what happened -the doctor said it was because of shock and stress- but as soon as I read Pablo's words I fell into labour immediately. They rushed me to the infirmary in PHandC. After staying in a room alone for a while, the doctor came and told me I had to go through a caesarean section. I didn't really understand his reasons but, since Shawn consented, I agreed to it. A-A few hours later when... when I woke up they informed me that I... I had had a stillbirth. The primary aim of the section was to...to save my baby, but...it didn't work. That day I lost two of the most important men in my life."

Quan.

Eva breaks down in tears as Maddie hugs her. I watch Maddie shed tears silently as she comforts Eva. Maddie was unaware of the actual cause of Quan's death. How could Shawn have ever thought Eva was over it? There was no way she would ever get over it. How could he look her in the eye and lie to her for a whole year? Eva had lost a lot today, her first loves; Micah and Quan. She had lost her boyfriend and the only person that could remind her of him; their son.

Eva was and still is so confused about the cause of Quan's death and it is all Shawn's fault. He had no right to cause Eva such pain. She considers him a friend and yet he went and killed her son. How would Eva react when she found out? No matter what, Shawn had to tell her the truth today. Though the truth would never bring Quan back but, maybe it could provide her with much needed closure. She deserves the truth after all she has been through.

"That is why today is so special." Maddie says breaking me away from my thoughts. "It's Micah's one year death anniversary and Quan's 1st birthday."