Two

Jermany's POV

I couldn't sleep last night, a million thoughts kept running through my mind.

Why did they offer me a job?

Why did they offer to feed us despite our debt to them?

What do they stand to gain from all this?

All my questions came up unanswered and I ended up going to bed with a headache.

I wake up by 7 am the next morning. After my shower I get ready. I put on a green knee-length gown with a small black jacket. I pack my brunette hair into a neat ponytail with some intentional strands left behind at the sides. I put on some mascara and then some eyeliner. I finish the look with a glossy lip stick.

By the time I get down I am greeted with a bear hug from a muscular man.

"Good morning." I say grimacing.

"Good morning Mija" He says.

"Can you put me down now Hiram, I get you love me and all but you're ruining my hair." I say.

"Oh, right, sorry."

Hiram puts me down immediately smiling. Hiram might be muscular and well built but he will always be a softie at heart.

"So, you couldn't call to tell me that you had gotten a job at PHandC?" Hiram starts.

I walk over to the coffee machine and start making us a pot of coffee.

"I haven't exactly gotten the job yet, I'm supposed to go over there by 9 am" I say to my best friend.

"Well from what your mum said, it sounds sealed."

Mum, right.

I let the coffee start to brew before I turn to Hiram.

"Can I tell you something?" I ask Hiram seriously.

"If you're ready for brutal honesty then sure." He says.

I smile before taking a deep breath in.

"I...I...." I stammer.

Hiram immediately gets up from where he has been sitting behind the counter and moves to where I am by the coffee machine.

"Say no more Mija, I know you well enough to know what you're thinking right now. Let me just say that you have no need to worry Mija, I'm here okay. You don't need to stress."

"But, it doesn't add up Hiram. We owe them a lot but yet..."

"It might not add up now but I'm sure it will later, you always figure these things out. Just try not to be so pessimistic about every situation in life, okay?"

I nod before walking into Hiram's warm embrace. I'll have to trust him, I'll have to be optimistic, if not for me then for her; for my mum, for Hiram and for him; Dad.

The sound of the coffee machine going off brings us back to reality and out of our warm place.

"The usual?" I ask.

"Yep, but double the cream." Hiram says smiling. You'd think this guy was a black coffee no cream or sugar type of guy but no, that's not my Hiram.

"So, Ameeka called me last night?" Hiram says and smiles boyishly at the mention of his girlfriend's name. The look in his eyes tells me one thing...

I'm going to be so late today.

*                    *                    *  

It wasn't very tall but it was wide, really wide. Inside was beautifully decorated. There was an antique vase by the right, a dustbin by the left. There were two chairs placed side by side and bending to face each other. It was very beautiful. There was a door leading to a toilet then two glass doors opposite that door probably leading Inside to the rest of the office. Everything here was arranged to face something in the opposite direction. The two doors, the vase and the bin, but opposite the two chairs was a wall full of quotes by him; Shawn Phillips.