Chapter 35 - In the Mud (2)

Start from the beginning

"It seems our best option may be to part ways and try to hide," Valera said.

"It's a sorry state of affairs," Karlar said.

Shale regarded Tershar and suddenly recalled the conversation she'd heard between her and Karlar in the sky chamber in Bridgefort. "What if there is somewhere else?"

"Where do you have in mind, Mistress Shale?" Karlar asked.

"What if we went to Starstone?"

This utterance cut through the others like a heated knife through soft cheese. Everyone met her with puzzled expressions. Even Bandor and Ezil looked at her like she'd gone mad.

"What is this nonsense?" Valera said. "Does the niece seek to outdo the folly of the uncle?"

"If it wasn't for her," Ezil said, "You would be lying dead in the streets of Naverun. So how about you show a little respect?"

Valera's eyes shone with dark malice.

Shale didn't point out the fact that the Ravenbonder had already more than repaid her debt when she'd planted an arrow in Roserva. If it wasn't for her sharp reflexes, they'd all be dead.

"You heard what Rantari said, Firefly." It took a moment for her to realise who spoke. Otter sounded very different, tired and frail without his energetic joviality. "An army marches on the holy city."

She met his eyes. "And that's exactly why we should go there."

The confusion of the others mounted. There were a few curses and agitated shuffles.

"Mistress Shale," Karlar said, "While I admire your attitude to refuse to give up, I fail to see what path you took to arrive upon this conclusion."

"Think about it. If this war was planned by the Shaedri, then so was this battle. They want the rebellion to take Starstone. So I ask you, why would they need an army to take over a city when usually they can skip into people?"

Ezil's eyes widened. "Because it's not under their control."

"I suppose that's possible," Karlar said, tapping his chin and taking time to ponder. "There is old magic within ancient cities and there are archives of tales about how holy trinkets can ward off demons. Maybe, in the same way, a negative energy permeates Urvark, something positive exists in Starstone, protecting the people who remain within the borders."

"Like an extra barrier," Shale said, nodding.

"The Hekkari hold the people together," Tershar said. "Without them in place, there would be even more uncertainty."

"It is our duty." Since using her abilities, Shale had felt a surge of new confidence. It helped her stand taller now. "I am the Keykeeper. I reckon that, at the very least, gives me the responsibility to decide where to keep the Key."

"That sounds fair enough," Otter admitted.

"Well, I believe the safest place in all of the realm is Starstone. It can be guarded by the Kersaja and sealed deep in the vaults of the Areathellum."

"But by that same logic," Karlar said, "If the Shaedri are behind this impending attack on the holy city, then they also must believe they have a good chance of conquering it."

"All the more reason for us to bolster Starstone's forces and warn them against the true nature of the coming threat."

When no one else could think of an objection, all eyes journeyed to the Ravenbonder, to see if she could supply one.

And living up to her reputation, she did just that. "There is the very small matter of the Hekkari despising everything to do with magic. Why would they protect or even listen to us?"

"I know," Shale said. "Centuries ago, they were killing our kind, and before that, in the Fractured Age, we warred against each other. But if you go back before that, into greyer territory, men and magical folk were said to have fought side by side, against greater enemies. Times change. We've heard that we live in an era of change. This is just one more that Yim has to learn to endure. It must learn to live with our kind."

They all went quiet.

Shale's chest pumped up and down as she breathed. She was so used to absorbing what was happening, that it felt odd to be the centre of the conversation.

Finally, after a long stillness, Tershar inclined her head. "From the beginning, I have believed this to be our correct path. And I remain steadfast in that belief. The Hekkari is our best hope. I have no sword and can't offer much in way of physical protection, but whatever I can do in order to get the Key to safety, I will."

"Thank you."

That was good, Shale thought, but that was the easy one, coming from the one person who already wanted to go to Starstone. Now, what about the others?

"Well," Ezil said, patiently, "Bandor and I have seen you this far. It's not like we can just turn and go back to Orian with clear consciences. We feel as linked to this thing as you are. We are in this to the end."

"I accept your companionship."

Karlar sighed. "For so long, I have believed my readings of the patterns to be correct, despite the arguments of my peers. What I saw felt so profound, but perhaps that was my own arrogance. When I found Daziran, I found the very man who validated my beliefs, the leader of a new movement. Now, I don't know if such a person actually exists."

"But?" Shale asked.

"But... I believe this Key is important. I don't have the answers beyond that, but I will fight for your cause, Shale Etaria."

"I accept your companionship, sir Stargazer," Shale said.

He smiled.

Valera and Otter made brief eye contact, seeming to communicate something silently.

"It's what Bear would have wanted," Otter said after a time. "If we just split up now, his sacrifice was for nought."

"Oh, for the love of Bragan." Valera shook her head. "And to think I was almost on my way back home. But when you put it like that, how can I leave? I said I'd get that damn thing to safety and I'll hold to that, even if it sees us on the Starstone gallows."

Now the attention was directed to Daziran. It'd been a while since her uncle had even spoken.

"I failed you all," he said as his struggle worked on his face. "I led you all into a trap and now I have my friend's blood on my hands. I don't expect to be forgiven for that. I doubt I'll ever forgive myself. I want to make amends, as much as possible, but what if this is the same thing? What if we lose more people?"

"Your heart was in the right place," Shale said.

"I needed Rantari. I had to trust someone."

"But you put your faith in the wrong person. Trust me now. Trust us. What else is there?"

He rubbed his jaw. His stubble made a rough sound.

"You took a leap and crashed into the ground. Luckily, you still have the legs to keep going. You have to find it in you to take another leap. We all do."

"Very well." A weary, sad smile spread across his face. "We've tried it my way. Now it's time to follow our Keykeeper."