Chapter 10

There was no space between the door's aluminium edge and Debbie; prompting her to wonder that an inmate could easily shove it back and slice open her forehead. Debbie didn't realize she had blurted her thoughts aloud to Attendant Gray. He looked at her, one eyebrow raised, rolled eyes and a smirk twisting his already twisted face.

Julie was stationed on the opposite side of the room, chained to the sole window high up. There wasn't a chance of physical contact, unless there was a disaster. Debbie sighed, having lost all hope of normalcy.

For minimising infection and physical contact, Attendant Gray was covered in PPE. Sliding two plates of food towards Debbie, he asked her to eat and motioned her to ask Julie her to complete her meal as well.

Debbie sat to eat behind the door and Julie sat on the other end. Attendant Gray returned to the TV room and started adding more entries in the journal. Sitting in full view made her reminiscent of her daily duties.

Maybe he is writing the fact that now she had voiced her doubts aloud and he knew about cell door danger, so if an inmate tried to injure her face with anything, he, Attendant Tremaine and the cook won't be held responsible, she thought. She felt a soft tingling down her spine, as if her body was trying to tell her something. Debbie speculated but came up with no answers. She had memories of her Papa telling her something about the mark on her back. She racked her brain and came up with nothing. It was as if her brain refused to cooperate.

Damn... Wish I could remember something. Anything. Debbie scratched her chin in contemplation. Some stuff doesn't add up and I'm going to find out why. As she tried to piece together the puzzle in her mind, Debbie recalled the events leading to the last conversation she had.

"This is table scrap," the Mr. Tremaine pointed to one. The four boys pop up and brushed their lunch remains into a plastic garbage bag hung on the food cart's edge. They stacked plastic plates on the cart and toss plastic forks into a bin, as Mr. Tremaine counted each fork—potential shanks. The boys then lined the wall to wait their restroom turn. The bathroom area had six toilets and three sinks, but unless one of the attendents stood nearby, only one juvenile could enter.

"Never let two residents be alone where you can't see them," Walton had already cautioned. "They can fight or molest each other." Everyone lingers along the wall in front of the cell doors. The attendant dismissed other tables individually to "scrape." The kitchen helpers begun sweeping and mopping the common area. Once each juvenile was standing against the bricks and cell fronts, with Mr. Tremaine sending them into the bathroom, one at a time.

Still stomach-prone on his cell floor, Calvin squished his forehead and nose and puffy hair against the Plexiglas. Squirming as close to everyone else as his door allows, he hammered out homespun rap lyrics. Lonely, he must have wanted others to loiter at his window where he could see and hear them and they could see and hear him too.

The confinement struck Debbie as inhumane and as she didn't know what Calvin did to be arrested or to be confined here on 3G, she wondered if she could just sneak the master cell door key, thick as a silver dollar, off Attendant Walton's belt and free Calvin to have him follow everyone right to the TV area. She felt the head-bopping rapper perpetrated no such major crime at the moment to deserve such a punishment.  The picture of him ramming his steel doorframe into her face grossed her out.

Still thinking about it, Debbie didn't realise when she fell asleep, her hands still clutching at the metal door frame. Julie was sleeping in her part of the room. A slight flutter and her mark glowed. At the same time, Julie's mark on her arm glowed slightly too. It was as if a connection was being made. A ray of light burst forth from Debbie and joined Julie's, the glow on her arm sending a shiver through both of them. Unknown to them, their bodies twitched and turned with the effect of the bond created.

In her dreams, she saw a country made of clouds. Mountains and mountains of clouds. Made of gold, silver, orange, read, blue, purple, yellow, green. The colours of a rainbow. There were clouds as far as her see could see. Debbie was flying and to her great surprise--she discovered she had wings. There was no ground. She flew through the colourful clouds and came across people walking in white clothes through what looked like roads made of shining blue. Debbie frantically searched for a place to land and rest. Albeit lately, she understood that flying was tiring after all! Spying a clear field, she touched down. As soon as she landed, the ground rumbled, and lightening crackled the air. People materialised from wisps of clouds. She attempted to talk, but the words refused to flow. Too awkward to speak, Debbie did what she was best at--she ran as fast as her legs could carry her.

Bewildered at the stranger's sudden appearance, the people did what they were instructed to do. By sending a bolt of silver lightening through the sky, they summoned their Commander-in-chief: Mr. Balthazar Bennett. Appearing in a cloud of smoke in seconds, he took the people to task for such an urgent message. They brought him up to Debbie's appearance and the fact she had never been seen in the kingdom before. 

Sneakers buried deep in the ground as Debbie sprinted down the road, fearing for her life. The mark on her back was throbbing and she couldn't understand why. As she bounded over the small tuffs of pink grass and the brow of the hill, her limbs speeding all the way, she suddenly stopped as if her feet were glued. There in the middle of the grassy expanse was the biggest tornado she had ever seen. She surmised it must be hundreds of feet tall combined with the vortex. There was no base at all, its whitened gleam dangled in mid-air illuminating the field. Even though it was rotating rapidly, Debbie felt a sense of calm overtake her. She rushed to it like the last popsicles at the market and stood staring at it. She felt as if it was supposed to reveal something, but it didn't. It swung towards her as if it were actually bowing to her. Debbie walked right through the raging, churning tornado and it didn't affect her in the least. As she reached the threshold of the field, she turned only to see the tornado disappear. A road appeared from nowhere and she carried on running, occasionally looking over her back to see if she was being chased. In what seemed like minutes, the road took her to a city. 

All Debbie saw was buildings shaped as triangles--more like curved triangles. She swore she had seen that kind of symbol somewhere. Where...? In an attempt to recollect, she drummed at her forehead with fingers. She heard footsteps behind her and before she could turn to see who it was, she felt a Thud. Whack... Something hard hit her from behind. All Debbie saw was a blurred face before darkness overwhelmed her body and mind and she lost consciousness.

When Debbie awoke, there was darkness all around. She tried to move her body, and what was this? Her hands, body and feet were tied and a neck brace with a mask covered her mouth; leaving only her eyes open. Struggling to loosen her bonds but she was chained to what she felt was a handle of a seat in carriage of sorts. Craning her neck, the carriage looked like a canopy, something like a circus tent--the kind her father took her to as a child. And God... her back hurt. Badly. And there was this tingling sensation on her wrist too. Wish there was someone who could explain what the hell was going on and why. Debbie squirmed in her seat hoping for some kind of help. She opened her mouth only to realise her muffled screams would reach no one. Looking from the way this carriage or whatever it is was covered, she doubted if there was someone outside this canopy.

Debbie didn't know Balthazar Bennett was cued into her every word and thought. Ever since he had found out about the mark on her back, he was skeptical. He had seen the sparks emancipating from her wrists when he held her hand and felt the energy, the familiar connection to him. The jolts of power she gave off her back was like the energy he had. It was as if she had a connection of old with this place and Balthazar was determined to find out why. He couldn't understand why it felt as if he knew her from before. But how could that be? She was new and from reports, the public had never seen her in this kingdom before. Although he didn't want to, but Balthazar didn't want to risk his peoples' trust with showing leniency with the newbie. Tying her up was the only and safest option available. And he slyly thought maybe she would keep her mouth shut for sometime.

The unicorns cobbled their way to the palace, their gentle rocking motion finally lulling Debbie to sleep. Balthazar felt a pang of pity for the stranger, but his kingdom's safety was his priority. It was twilight when they reached the gates of the castle. After making sure the girl was safely sleeping and thoroughly guarded in his chambers by the Elite Amed Forces standing outside, he sent his servant to inform the king of his arrival. Even though it was past the king's bedtime, and Balthazar immediately requested the King's presence. Being the King's trusted Commander-in-Chief and the Knight of the Seven Samurai, Balthazar was ushured into his study.

"Tell me now. What is it that you had me woken at such an uncelestially hour, Balthazar?" The Kind inquired with a yawn; sleep foremost in his mind. "This better be good, or you know I hate being awoken from my sleep."

"There's this girl, my leige. And I think she has the same symbol as the one you have on your back."

"What? What are you saying, Balthazar?" By now the King was wide awake, all traces of sleep vanished.

"If I think what I think she is, then maybe...just maybe..." Muttering to himself, he added. "I'm aware it's a one in a million chance, but I see no harm in making sure, Sire."

"I honestly don't understand what are you talking about, Balthazar!" Confusion was writ all across his face.

"Who's making sure what? I'd appreciate if you explained the whole situation to me in simple parlance. Who is she and what happened?"

Balthazar quickly brought up the King to the day's events. During the narration, the King nodded at some places and asked pointers at key points. After he finished the recollection, the King stood quietly, deep in thought. He paced the room, contemplating the next course of action. At last he spoke. "I'd like to meet the girl, Balthazar. If she truly is what you say then; we might have found my grand daughter, our princess and the Karlynndwain's long lost heir!"

At the same time, in another room, Debbie slowly regained consciousness. I must have fallen asleep in the carriage. Where am I and why am I brought here? She wondered. A deluge of thoughts flooded her mind and she tried to hold onto that branch of hope floating inside the river of hoplessness.

Debbie sat up on bed and had a quick look around the room taking in the details: The room contained a neatly made double bed, two chairs, one table one study, a wash stand are at the corner of the room, a dressing table with a large oval mirror with the words "Ad astra per aspera." embeded in it's frame. The upholstery was rich with the windows draped in silk curtains. The room was bare with no pictures on the walls except for one picture. As the first rays of the sunlight filtered through her window, the room was covered in a soft glow. It actually shone with the brightness. The effect was magical, leaving Debbie speechless for a moment.

This is so cool, I could live here all day. Debbie sighed, a smile crept across her face. For a moment, everything seemed perfect. And then, she heard a thud of boots walking down the corridor and the jingling of the keys as the door lock was opened . It's them again. Wonder what they want from me? I must do something.

Debbie remembered the window and snatched the silky soft wool blankets and jumped out of the window only to bump off the parapet onto the ledge and screamed for her life.

"Help! Somebody save me. Help! Please help me." A shiver went down her spine, tears threatened to overflow, but she blinked her eyes several times in an attempt to get control of her emotions. With welcoming arms, Death looked her in the eye and smiled. I should have known this wouldn't work, how can I be so stupid? Debbie was so cross with herself and just couldn't do anything about it.

A rope was thrown and she heard someone saying, "Here's a rope, just get hold of it and we'll pull you up. Don't worry, we are here to save you, my child!" Give a tug when you a ready and we'll do the rest."

Debbie clutched tightly at the rope and tugged as per instructions. On being brought up, she came face to face with what she presumed was a knight and an old man with a crown on his head. He looks like the king, I guess. She thought to herself.

The king gave a benign smile, and addressed her. "Hello young lady, I believe we haven't met as yet. Allow me to introduce myself. I am King Darius Nicholas from the house of De Roche and this is my commander in chief, Sir Balthazar Bennet. I see you have already been acquainted with him as he was the one who brought you here. And you are..."

Debbie was momentarily shocked and speechless. She opened her mouth and not knowing what to say, she closed it. There was a long pause and then, she started with "I'm Deborah Remington from Brooklyn USA. Don't know if you have ever heard of USA. Nice to meet you King Darius Nicholas."  Debbie extended her hand for a handshake.

"Pleasure to meet you, Deborah. Welcome to our Kingdom." The King shook her hand with warmth.

"And hello to you, Mr. Balthazar Bennett. To be honest, I'm not particularly pleased to meet you, for the fact you had kidnapped me for no fault of mine."

"My sincere apologies for the discomfort, Deborah. I'm afraid I was just following the law of the land. Now, if you'll excuse me, I---"

"You can call me Debbie."

"Okay. Debbie it is." Balthazar flashed a small smile. "If you don't mind, We'd like to have a look at your wrists. I think you have something special there."

"What are you talking about? I don't understand."

Seeing Debbie growing agitated, the King motioned Balthazar silence and stepped forward, taking over the reins of the conversation.

"Allow me to explain this, Debbie." The King held her hands and looked deeply into her eyes. "There is a spark in your wrists which is just the same as our people. And seeing you have never come her before, we find it rather odd and strange. Balthazar tells me there's a mark on your back, Debbie. Do you know something about it? Or better, can we have a look? With your permission, of course."

"The mark is my birthmark. It has been there since I was born. My mother told me that I was the princess and heir of a kingdom and when the time comes, I would know."

The king listened intently and then asked. "Where is your mother stay, Debbie? We would like to ask her a few questions."

"She's dead. I mean--both my parents are dead. They were murdered in front my eyes." Tears cascaded like on waterfall on her face.

"I'm so sorry to hear that, Debbie. Here, let me give you a hug."

As the King embraced Debbie and her skin touched his, a flicker of light ran through him, which made him conscious of the fact that Debbie was related to him in some way. He felt as if she was a part of him. For the first time in forever, he glimpsed Amanda in her touch.

But that's impossible. He thought. How can it be? A shred of hope peeked in his heart and he did not hesitate to confirm.

"Do you remember the name of the kingdom, Debbie? Did your mother mention the name to you? And what did you say your mother's name was? I think we skipped that detail."

"Amanda was my mother's name. And yes, she did tell me the name. It was Karl something.... I- I don't remember more. Sorry." 

By now Balthazar was excited and the king couldn't contain his happiness.

"Was it Karlynndwain, Debbie?"

"Yes, yes, I believe that was the very name! Karlynndwain."

"Debbie I believe you are my--"

"My apologies for the interruption, there's one more thing we need to confirm, my leige. We need to see the mark. Please. I know you have waited for a long time, but a couple of minutes more won't hurt."

Balthazar turned to Debbie and spoke directly to her. "We'd very much like it if you could show us the mark on your back, Debbie. It is of utmost importance to the king, otherwise I wouldn't force you so much."

Debbie released a breath she didn't even know she was holding. Here goes nothing and she shows her mark.

"Tis her. She is really my grand daughter. You are my Amanda's girl. My girl. My heir and the kingdom's long lost princess." His hands were shaking with excitement and overwhelmed with the onslaught of emotions, he teared up.

"Balthazar, I present you Debbie, princess of Karlynndwain." 

Balthazar bows in respect. "Welcome home, Debbie."

"Debbie--You will be escorted with your personal guard, Julie at all times. And oh, I may have forgotten to mention that that Julie is Balthazar's daughter, head of the army battalion and our kingdom's first lady knight."

On clapping his hands, Julie entered the chambers.

"You? Here?" And Debbie collapses on the ground.