Chapter 1

"It's a truth universally acknowledged that a single person in possession of good fortune must be in want of a spouse." Debbie stared at the line in Pride and Prejudice. She was supposed to be writing a paper on how Jane Austen's writings shaped the future political scenario, but she couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

"How about... It's a truth universally acknowledged that a single person in want of money should possess the means of gaining it. This is my version and sounds so much better. It works perfectly in today's age and time," she mutters while tapping the pen furiously on the book.

Wonder what Jane Austen would think of me if she ever met me? she giggled, sitting in her chair by the window of her bedroom, while the evening breeze rustled and tickled her short hair and sending goosebumps all the way on her skin.

It was the vibrating ringtone of Senorita by Camila Cabello that eventually brought her attention to the cellphone buzzing underneath the pillow. She picked it up, and the phone disconnected showing a blank screen. The cellphone's screen showed a dead battery. "Damn," she muttered as she thought how she hated herself for forgetting to charge the phone. It would be another fifteen minutes before she could check the phone.

If she didn't want her assignment marked late, Debbie would have to finish that Jane Austen paper and submit on time. 
I guess I'll make the most of the fifteen minutes and try to complete my assignment. I really don't want it to be marked late as usual, she thought.

Debbie was almost done when the urge to check her phone overpowered her better self. Taking the phone in her hand, she saw five missed calls on the screen. "Wonder who's so desperate? Let me check..." Scrolling through the call list, Debbie sees Lizzie's name in the missed call icon.

Hmmm... Debbie knew that Lizzie's call at this moment would set her back by one hour. With the paper nearing completion, she was eager to finish. She wanted to be done and dusted with Jane Austen and everything history as soon as possible. Lizzie can wait, Jane Austen can't. One hour more to go.

"I swear to God, when I become the president and have lots of money, I'll abolish history as a subject."

As the night closes, sleep lassoed her ropes through Debbie, hooking her with yawns, half-closed eyes, shoulders leaning on the book. Her mouth half open, spit drooled on the page.

God, I'm tired and my fingers have been aching like hell... I'm done. Stifling a yawn, she chucked the cell under her pillow.

Debbie was oblivious to the fact that she has clicked on LindkedIn when the app flickered across her screen as a recommendation.  

She absently swiped on it to find people looking to get their profiles matched with companies.  What on earth is this? , she thought.  Wide awake, sleep was the last thing on her mind.

This is so fascinating. Look at all these people in suits, she murmured. Maybe I could find something interesting here. As Debbie scrolled through the hundreds of profiles, she came across as one profile called Red.

Curious and tempted to know more, she clicked on his profile only to have three words pop up on her screen. Works at YSL and he was located at Brooklyn. There was no additional information on his profile to identify him.

"If he's from here, I've never heard of him before. But then I don't know many people," amused at her apparent lack of social skills, Debbie laughed quietly. "Wish Lizzie was here. She'd have known, she's an expert with stuff like this." 

As Debbie stared at the page, she could see fine print at the very bottom. She squinted, reading the text. "Want to earn some money? Recruiting people now.... Interested people can email me at reddie at gmail dot com. What on earth is this?" she murmurs. On second thoughts, his profile sure seems interesting.

"Holy hell! This might be a scam." Debbie ran her fingers throug her curly black hair and screamed in panic.

A sharp knock on the door immediately alerted Debbie to her mistake. Straightening her pajamas, she sat up and asked in a guarded voice, "Who is it?"

"Debbie, is everything okay honey?" asked her mom.  "I was sleeping when I heard you scream in your room. We got worried. Open the door. Please."

"Ah, no. All okay mom. I'm good. There was a spider that scampered across the bed, waking me. You know how much I detest spiders, mom!"

"Yup, I do know. Just open the door so I can assure myself."

Opening the door a little wide, while taking care that her mom doesn't see the blinking screen on her bed. "There! Now what? Like I said-- I'm alright."

Trying her best to sport a fake smile on her face, Debbie said, "See I'm smiling too. Just relax mom. Don't worry so much about me." 

"Fine by me. Since you insist so much, I'll leave, Debbie."

"MOOMMM" Wrapping her in her arms and tightly hugging her.

"I didn't mean it that way. I just don't want you worried. I love you and you know that!"

"I love you too, honey. Always remember that. Even if I'm not around you, my spirit will be with you forever, my girl!"

"Yes, I'll remember. I won't forget. NEVER WILL. I PROMISE!"

Debbie's mom hugs her tightly. "You are special. Debbie. And when the time comes, you'll know in what and how many ways you are. There's a talent, a magic in you, that you don't see as yet. And the birthmark on your back is special. It's a mark of honour, of respect, a destiny. You are destined for great things, Debbie. I know you'll learn how to see and when to use it. Never lose sight of who you are, for what you want to be. This is your foundation, your morals, my daughter."

Shaking her head and clasping her mom's hand tightly, "I won't. Mom. Trust me. I'll never lose sight of myself and you. I'll be with you always. Keep alive your memory in me. I'm your daughter and I will announce it to the world from our rooftops."

"I know you are probably tired of me saying this again and again. I love you. Very much, Mama."

"Love you too, Debbie," her mom softly replied.

"Go to sleep now." Pulling the blanket over her and tucking it for a more cozy feeling, her mom added, "You have a long day at school with your assignment tomorrow."

 With twinkling eyes, Debbie's mom placed a small kiss on her forehead and stopped to stare in her azure blue eyes, at the small nose and the definite square jaw line.

She rubbed sleeping Debbie's head, as flashes of her past life flew in front of her and she muttered, "My girl is a born rebel. There is a streak she isn't aware of for now. Maybe when she's older or when she's more mature, she'll learn about her true roots. Where she was from and who she is, to be honest. 

Debbie, you aren't from this world— wish I could tell you. There a magic, a spark in you— a memory of me, my world. You are special in ways you can't even think, my princess. Your kingdom awaits you. Your grandparents await you — just wish you could go back and connect with them in any way possible. Debbie, my Debbie... that mark--"

"Honey? You still there? It's past midnight," Ron inquired. "You need to sleep as well."

Amanda wiped a tear from her eye. "Yes, I'm here and coming, Ron. I was admiring our Debbie. Hoping and praying for her so that she's not left alone in this world."

"I fear for her--her life, Ron. Our girl hasn't seen anything much of the world.  She's still young and naive. Unlike us, she doesn't have the experience of people... And above all, we still have to tell her about her real identity. But I fear for her life. Fear that people could use her for their own selfish purpose and defeat the goodness inside her heart. Debbie's meant for more."

"Don't fret about the future, Amanda. Worrying never helps. Maybe, it'll all work out in the end. As long as we are here to protect our daughter, she'll be fine," assured Ron.