Chapter 15

Dinner with everyone was great. The food was amazing and the wine was ever flowing. "We're going to get dessert," Rachelle giggled as she grabbed Pietro's hand and headed upstairs. "We don't have dessert up there, you idiot!" Cara Mia called out behind them. "I'll help you clean up," Ava offered as she stood up. "No, you go hangout with your man. Gianni and I got it."

Cara Mia hip bumped her and smiled. "Come on, babe," Ava grabbed Luca's hand and led him upstairs to her room. "Aren't you just kind to offer up my services and let them have a little rendezvous." Gianni smiled as he gathered the plates from the table.

They made their way to the kitchen and immediately heard Rachelle and Pietro from upstairs and groaned. "Those two are something else," Cara Mia said as she began loading the dishwasher. "But they are perfect for one another. I can't speak for Pietro, but Rachelle hasn't seem this happy and centered in forever. I'm glad my matchmaking skills worked out for everyone." Gianni laughed heartily. "Like I said before, you are trying to make my men as weak as you're making me."

Cara Mia dried her hands and got on her tippy toes. She wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled up at him. "You could never be weak. You make me feel so safe, because you're the strongest man I've known since my Daddy." Gianni smiled at her giving her a peck. "I want nothing more than to keep you safe, Bella. Always." She nodded as she went back to loading the dishwasher.

"I think Luca is really good for Ava, too. I don't know what she does to him, but he makes her seem lighter," Cara Mia smiled as she took a dish from Gianni. "She's the best thing for him. Luca has had a hard life and Ava brings him out of the darkness." Cara Mia looked at him and smiled brightly. "I was going to say the exact same thing about Ava. Luca brings her out of the darkness that is her past and into a bright light that is the present I've prayed for her." Gianni looked at Cara Mia and smiled. She was so caring for those she loved that it made him proud to have the affection of a woman so honest and loving.

Gianni hugged her from behind as she dried her hands. "You're a great friend and an even better woman." She smiled as she turned around in his arms. "Thank you. I try. But you're a an amazing friend and cousin to the guys. You're an even better man. I see so much good in you, Gianni and I honestly adore you because of it."

Gianni forced the smile on his face to remain there. If only she knew just how untrue those words are. I'm a monster, but she will never know that. He thought sadly. "Now move, I need to make my sangria for tomorrow night." Cara Mia shooed him away as she headed for the fridge.

"Why do I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be girls vs. boys?" Cara Mia laughed loudly and then got a serious face. "Because it is." They stared at each other for a moment before they both burst out laughing as he helped her cut the fruit. Moments like this, Gianni felt like a normal man.

They weren't doing anything extraordinary, there were no rivals to kill. He just reveled in the simplicity of cutting up oranges as Cara Mia talked to him about a new dance she was choreographing. I love you. He thought with a smile as she stole a slice of pineapple from his stack of fruit and smiled innocently.

"I know we're being casual and lowkey," Cara Mia got serious as she looked up into his eyes. "I really like you, Gianni. I know it's technically been a whirlwind with how fast things have been going, but I wanted you to know that I'm in this." She took a breath and Gianni could feel the honesty rolling off of her.

"I have had conversations with Giovanni and Clarissa and I know that if you want to keep seeing me that this might be as good as it gets, but you're worth it." She smiled widely and it made his breath catch. "I understand the life you lead can be a lot, but I'm not going anywhere if you don't want me to. I want to be the support you want and your top cheerleader when you need it."

He put the knife down and wiped his hands before pulling her into him. He kissed her passionately and Cara Mia could feel his emotions. They stayed like that for what felt like hours as their tongues did the tango before Gianni pulled back. "Thank you."

It was all he could say, but Cara Mia understood and nodded. "So, do you have this cheerleading uniform or is that something we need to buy?" Cara Mia laughed as she hit his arm. "I'll see about getting one for Halloween if you promise to dress like a jock."

Gianni's mind was already thinking how they could possibly go out for Halloween without being spotted by anyone he didn't want knowing about her. "Halloween is months away. No frowning, we'll cross that bridge when we get there." She kissed his hand and went back to the fruit. Gianni watched her and smiled. He knew he didn't deserve her, but he was never going to let her go.