Chapter 6

Gianni sat back as Luca made his way towards Cara Mia's address. He looked down at the dark jeans he wore with white t-shirt and Vans and shook his head. He always thought it was crazy that he felt more comfortable in a suit than anything else, but that's just how he was built. He was the only one out of his cousin and brothers that wouldn't grumble when told to dress accordingly. He just felt that was a testament to him being made for the monstrosity that was the life.

Gianni thought of Cara Mia and smiled brightly. He felt it was destiny running into her outside Vagabond like he had. He should've known she wouldn't take no for an answer and it was her willingness to fight for what she knew she earned that had him yearning for her all day. Their text message conversations were airy and light, but still meaningful. He didn't know how she managed to do that.

When he told Luca about her, he gave him the look he was expecting. "You're being reckless." Luca instructed as they headed back to the mansion after his sixth and final meeting. "We're not in a relationship or anything, Luca. I'm just getting to know her." Luca shook his head. "Getting to know someone leads to dating and relationships and then before you know it, you're identifying her body at the morgue." Gianni glared at his best friend, but sighed. That was the fate of so many men in this life.

His Uncle Mariano faced this same fate, as well as, various other men that worked for the mafia. He would never forget the look on his Uncle's face when he told them that the Mexicans had gone after them by killing Pietro's mother. They had just celebrated their wedding anniversary and in days he was burying her. "We're just friends, Luca. Nothing more. I promise." Gianni knew he didn't believe him, but he didn't push the subject anymore.

"I just need to drop off my briefcase and then we can go." Gianni stated as he got out of the town car. "You can't go dressed in a suit, G." Luca laughed. "If this is truly just a friend like you said then you need to be relaxed and yourself. You go in a suit you'll show her that you're all about work and don't have time for "friendship". He said with air quotes. "You go dressed down and she sees there's more to you than the Petrillo power." Gianni thought it over and nodded. "So, you are good for something." He snickered as he headed to his room.

Luca shook his head as he too went to change out of his signature black on black suit and into jeans and a V-neck. He felt his best friend was being a complete and total idiot. No good could come from him pursing a relationship and deep-down Gianni knew that, so why was he risking it?

Luca and Gianni were more than best friends. They were brothers who knew one another better than anyone else did. Luca understood the weight of the world that resided on Gianni's shoulders as the eldest son and soon to be heir.

As his best friend and bodyguard, Luca found himself alongside Gianni on many jobs that ended in bloodshed and death. It is because of this that he didn't understand how he would bring an unsuspecting woman into the life. He knew that this so-called friendship was anything but and he would have to have a talk with him to remind him of their promises to themselves. Luca knew they couldn't risk all that was built for love. Love wasn't something people like them had an opportunity to experience and he thought Gianni was fine with that.

But this woman had changed that, which meant she was one heck of a woman. Luca wanted to be happy for his friend, but he knew how things would end and a loss like that would devastate Gianni. That was why Luca vowed that he would never fall in love.

He had slept with a great number of women, but that was it. Sex to get him through the stressful and lonesome nights. The way his best friend smiled all day and lit up when he talked about this Cara Mia, Luca knew he was a goner.

"This is a decent neighborhood," Luca said as they drove closer to Cara Mia's house. "What did you say she did for a living?" Gianni looked around and wasn't thrilled by the number of people loitering around, but for New York City it could've been way worse.