Chapter 35: Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"I-I can't."

"What?" (Y/n) dropped his hand and stepped back as if he had burned her.

"Listen, (Y/n), it has to happen like this. I can't tell you why but--"

"Please," (Y/n) whispered. "Just this once, help me."

"I'm sorry, (Y/n), I can't."

Kion looked towards her one last time, before he spun on his heels as if he was going to leave. (Y/n) grabbed onto his shirt. Sheer despereation caused her to utter her next words, ones she was sure to regret.

"Wait! Then at least let me see her. I'll do anything. I swear."

Kion paused a moment, before nodding. "Deal."

————————————————————————

"You get five minutes," Kion said as soon as they left the room. He looked around warily before locking the door behind him.

(Y/n) nodded. Five minutes. It wasn't long, but it was enough--it had to be.

The two walked through the busy halls, until they got to a staircase. (Y/n) shivered.

"Hold onto the railing," Kion said guesturing to the metal bar that ran along the wall. "It might be hard to see the stairs."

Kion was the first to move, (Y/n) right behind him. He was right, it was hard to see the stairs. With every step they took, they descended deeper into the darkness. After a few minutes, (Y/n) began to feel a pressure on her throat, it was thick like smoke. It burned. Then the smell hit: mold and rot. A light flickered a little ways in the distance.

(Y/n) noticed the two guards standing at the bottom of the staircase. Her eyes met one of them, and she quickly looked down.

"What can I do for you Prince Kion?" One guard asked.

"I'm here to see a prisoner."

The man's eyes flickered to (Y/n), then back at the blonde. "Of course."

The guards stepped out of the way, allowing (Y/n) and Kion to pass. Kion led her down the dim hallway.(Y/n) looked to the ground, ignoring the rattling of chains and the cries that filled the room.

Kion stopped in front of a cell. There was a figure slumped in the corner. Myrrine.

"Myrrine?" (Y/n) called out. She couldn't help but notice how different the woman looked. She looked older.

Myrrine looked over to (Y/n). Surprise flickered across her face, then fear when she saw Kion. "(Y/n) is that you?"

"Yes it's me."

Myrrine walked closer, meeting the (h/c) haired girl at the front of the cell. They were close, the only thing that separated them was a line of metal bars.

"What are you doing here?" Myrrine whispered.

"I had to see you. I--I had to apologize."

Myrrine's face softened. She reached her hand through the bars and rested it on (Y/n)'s head. "It is not your fault."

"But it is," (Y/n) replied. She felt her composure slipping. A stream of tears ran down her face. "You wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me."

"I knew the risks, (Y/n). In the end it was my choice."

"But it's because of me that they are going to--they're going to--" (Y/n) couldn't say it, and it made her feel ashamed.

Myrrine seemed to understand what she meant to say. She always did. (Y/n) felt Myrrine's hand stroke her (h/c) hair. She leaned into the touch, letting it comfort her.

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes, until Myrrine spoke up. "You are a brave girl, (Y/n). You will carry on."

"But I'm not, Myrrine, I'm scared," (Y/n) responded.

"Everyone get's scared, (Y/n). It's what we do with our fear that defines us."

(Y/n) leaned into Myrrine's touch. She felt herself hold onto the older woman's words. Myrrine was the bravest person (Y/n) knew.

Maybe one day I can be brave too, (Y/n) told herself.

Kion cleared his throat. "(Y/n), it's time to go."

(Y/n) looked back, only now remembering he was there.

"Please, just a few more minutes?" she pleaded.

Kion shook his head. He had already given her more time than he should've. If they didn't leave now, he worried that one of his brothers would find out.

"I'm sorry, but we need to leave."

(Y/n) sighed and pulled her head out of Myrrine's arms. The air sent a chill down her spine. It was cold, colder than she remembered. She walked over to Kion, who watched her carefully.

Kion's shoulders flexed as he took off his coat, and draped it over (Y/n)'s shoulders. His lips turned up slightly in a teasing smile. He looked like he was going to say something, but his expression sobered.

"Let's go," he said, taking (Y/n)'s hand.

"Wait, (Y/n)," Myrrine yelled.

(Y/n) turned towards her friend.

"Would you look after Haris for me?"

"I will, I promise," (Y/n) replied, and she meant it. She wouldn't let anything bad happen to the people she cared for. Not again.

Myrrine smiled--it was the sad sort of smile, the kind used to say goodbye. "Then my soul will rest in peace."

Kion started walking away, and (Y/n) let him lead her away. But her head turned back, looking towards Myrrine until she saw nothing but darkness.

1561 words

Hey guys sry for the chapter I published earlier. I couldn't get into my account and was worried about it, but luckily I finally was able to reset my password and log in. Sry for the scare. Also, big news my guys; I'll be updating twice next week. I'm not sure if I'll go back to updating twice every week, but I will definitely let you all know the plan by next sat/sun.

Next Update: Wed/Thurs