twelve || lifesaver

"If I could do it all over, baby I'd do it different
Maybe I wouldn't be here, in this position
I found you and I lost you, looking back is torture
And it hurts to know I let you go, you live right around the corner"

---

idc what anyone says, this song is a bop and describes laci and cash's relationship pretty well. enjoy the chapter. 

---

Cash's POV

One hour until Laci was going to be over and I was a wreck. I had Sadie and Faith make do with the decorations that my mom brought down from the attic and so far, they were doing a good job. They hung streamers all along the fence and a banner hung between two trees. There were a few tables towards one side with some decorations and I had ran to the store to buy those giant balloon numbers, a 1 and a 7. 

"Cash we have like, ten minutes before she gets here," Faith says, running over to me, out of breath.

"I know, I know, let me just go get my guitar and set it up," I sigh, making my way inside. I run upstairs to my room and grab my guitar. I also grab the box that has my present for Laci inside. Feeling ecstatic, I rush downstairs at the sound of the doorbell. I hide the box behind my back and slowly open the door to reveal...

"Hudson?" I say, now out of breath. 

"Hey, Cash, right? You invited me to Laci's party today," Hudson tells me. That's right, I did do that. I recognized Hudson from when I used to go to public school before I switched to online. I checked my yearbooks for his name and found him on Instagram. I then sent him a dm inviting him to the party today. 

"Yeah, that's me. Party's out there," I point my thumb in the direction of the back door where Hudson struts past me, empty-handed. 

"Did you, um, did you get Laci a present?" I clear my throat and Hudson whips around to face me. 

"Was I supposed to?"

"Well, yeah dude! From what I've heard from her little sister she seems pretty into you and if you didn't bring her anything, she might lose feelings for you," I click my tongue, and Hudson's face goes pale.

"Oh, crap. What do I do? I really like her, man, and I don't want to mess this up," Hudson tugs at the roots of his hair and I take a deep breath. Pulling the gift box out from behind my back, I contemplate my next move. 

"Here," I say after a few minutes. "Just give her this," I hand Hudson the box and he gently takes it. 

"Cash..." Hudson's face softens and he looks from the box to back at me. "Thanks bro, you're a lifesaver!" Hudson's soft face turns into a huge smirk as he punches my shoulder. I feel good about my good deed but a part of me feels... upset about it?

Taking a stronger grip on my guitar, I follow Hudson to the backyard where there are many more balloons and a portable stage is now set up on the right side of the yard. Two speakers are on either end of the front of it and another happy birthday banner hangs across the back of the stage. 

"Woah, this place looks great," Hudson takes in everything as he sets foot on the grass. 

"Thanks," I smile in satisfaction as some people that I remember from school start to slowly show up. Sadie told me she would handle invitations and I'm surprised she went through with it. 

I just hope Laci likes it. 

---

AWW cashy being a nice guy

cash giving hudson the gift was an in the moment decision for cash cause he just wanted to be a good person and make laci happy. he also has a plan that if laci and hudson get together, then he can forget about the feelings he has (even if he won't admit it) for lack and continue to be with alexa

its my first day of school on zoom whoop whoop

it's been an hour and i missed my class cause the link didn't work