TEOYAM | 04. Science & Faith

When Harry and I were in Junior year, we finally had one class together. Unfortunately, it was a subject I didn't like so much-- Biology.

I wasn't the brightest girl in class. I wasn't the dumbest either. I was just not that good in academics. I excelled in other things like arts, sports, and social events. On top of Drama Club, I was in the Lacrosse team too. My idea of working out was mixed martial arts and practicing at the Du Pont's firing range. But school? Like actual school where you sit in a classroom and listen to your professor lecture you about whatever subject it was that he was teaching? No. I just can't sit still and listen to someone speak for that long of a period and be expected to digest everything he just said. Taking down notes was so troublesome for me too. Yeah, I enjoy writing, just not when it's Mathematical equations or scientific names of plants.

What use are these things when we go out there in the "real world" anyway?

Nobody buys 86 watermelons at a supermarket. You go to a freaking farm for that.

Who would even ask for a mega mangifera indica smoothie at Jamba Juice? No one. You go and ask them to make you mega mango instead.

I was definitely grateful that we became classmates and lab partners for Biology. He made it a little better. For one, he kept me from sleeping in class or cutting classes. I tried skipping class once. Okay, maybe more like five times. One time, right after Ms. Tyson, our Biology professor, checked our attendance, I tried sneaking out of the door while she was busy talking about molecules or whatever it was people discussed in Biology. Before I could take my bag and leave, Harry stepped on my bag and pulled me back to my seat. Much to my dismay. The way I helped him with his acting, he helped me with school. He's to blame for why I was able to finish that dreadful class, but of course, I didn't finish Biology without messing up big time like I always do with everything else.

"Why the freaking hell are we cutting a frog open?" I complained, not caring if Ms. Tyson heard me, as Harry placed a tray in front of us both. I groaned, looking at Ms. Tyson who wasn't so happy with my reaction.

"Scared, Rockefeller?" Harry winked. I rolled my eyes almost immediately.

"Scared? Me? Scared?" I stood up from my stool and held my hand up, "Ms. Tyson, can I cut Harry's head open instead? He seems to have lost his mind. As his friend, I feel like I have to return it." I smiled as Harry pulled me back down to my seat.

"Ronnie, I was just kidding." Harry laughed.

"Oh, you were now? Ha. I'd like to see you talking the way you are now inside a haunted house." I nudged him, sticking my tongue out afterwards. His face turned pale and I couldn't help but laugh. "Who's laughing now, huh?" My laughter, however, subsided after I saw him bring out the frog out of a Coleman lunchbox.

"Okay, fair enough." I muttered under my breath as I tried my hardest not to breathe in the smell of frogs everywhere. The room started to smell slimey because of the 18 frogs that were out in the open, in a fully air-conditioned room, may I add.

"You may begin dissecting your frogs now, class." Ms. Tyson instructed us, but I barely even heard her.

"Soooo... listen, Harry. You might want to take over the reins on this one because I'm just not good at--"

Harry laughed at me as he shook his head, taking the scalpel and was about to cut the frog open when I placed a hand over my mouth and looked away. He turned to look at me, holding the scalpel that was a few centimeters from the frog's chest. "Are you alright, Ronnie?" He asked with concern.

"Uhh, yeah. Yeah, I'm good." I nodded. It was just a frog being cut open. It's not like seeing the insides of a frog is enough to make me pass out or something. I mean, come on. I kick butts for a living. Okay, maybe not for a living, but it was a hobby.