TEOYAM | 13. Fading Fast

February 4, 2013

The Monday after Genevieve's pre-Fashion Week party, everyone was energized to go back to school. Everyone, but me. All I wanted that Monday was to get out of that place and get to dress rehearsals for Fashion Week, which starts the next day. I already had my permission slip to skip classes for the rest of the week signed by my mother and Mr. Colton, all I had to do was bail.

But why wasn't I bailing?

It's because I wanted to see Genevieve and Harry together with my very own eyes.

People deal with pain differently. Some deal with it by going away for a while to forget. Some people cry. Some people smash things (or other people's faces). Some people deal with it by drowning themselves in the good stuff (and by good stuff, I meant things that your mom will most likely ground you for until you're 80). Some eat their life away. Some change their appearance. Some turn to arts or whatever it may be that they're passionate about and use that to motivate them-- you know, like Taylor Swift. Some people pretend the pain they're feeling is completely non-existent. Some people deal with it head on.

Me?

All of the above.

I've dealt with different kinds pain in different ways. The one I'm feeling right now, I'm dealing with it head on. I had this theory that if I see them enough times that day, I'll get immuned to it. You know, like how people deal with allergies. They expose themselves to whatever they're allergic to until their allergic reactions go away. Maybe it was suicide to those who are mere bystanders, but for us who are suffering, anything is worth the risk if it meant getting rid of these feelings we didn't want in the first place.

I overestimated myself, however. The second I spotted them walking down the hall, I felt that oh so familiar heart wrenching sensation so I turned on my heel and walked the other direction, speeding towards people like I'm in a freaking marathon and Johnny Depp is waiting by the finish line.

I was a coward.

I ended up avoiding them the entire time I was in school. Eventually, I got tired of trying so I decided to skip the classes I had after lunch. I stood up from my lunch table with Rachel, Penny and our other friends, trying my best to leave without being noticed. I thought I succeeded when I got to the exit, only to hear Rachel shout my name across the room, catching the attention of everyone at the courtyard.

"Veronica! Where are you going?" She announced without hesitation as she approached me, forcing me to face her.

"I'm leaving. You know I have Fashion Week rehearsals to attend to."

"Yeah, but isn't that like after class?"

"Yes, but I can still ditch school so why not do it now?" I grinned, turning on my heel to exit the courtyard. She yanked me back by my blazer, making me scoff. "What?"

"You're not leaving."

"I have my slip signed and all, woman. Chill. I'm only missing four hours left of school. It's no big deal." I waved the slip in her face the way she did when she went to my house.

She rolled her eyes at me and crossed her arms by her chest. "I wasn't talking about class. I'm talking about your dance routine for Juilliard, smarty. You can't leave without showing me and Penny your audition piece. You promised." She poked me in the chest and I flinched.

"Fine, fine. But where am I showing you my not so amazing dance number eh?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Seriously, Ronnie? Seriously?" She raised an eyebrow and puffed, "of course I have a room. You didn't actually think I was gonna suggest something without having a solution, did you? Geez! We've known each other since we were in designer diapers and you're acting like you don't know me still." She shook her head and walked past me, motioning for Penny to follow, heading straight for the school auditorium.