TEOYAM | 20. Teenage Dream

Prom.

For many girls, it's the most awaited night of their whole lives. Well, next to their wedding day and, if you're born in the same world as I, the debutante ball.

For me?

It was the complete opposite.

I dreaded prom night with my entire being.

It was the night I was constantly reminded of all the promises made by the person I gave so much importance to, but he failed to keep because he changed his mind along the way.

Did it hurt?

Like hell, it did.

Harry and I didn't have to talk to know that we were no longer going to prom together. After our not so little fallout, it was a given I was going stag.

Don't get me wrong.

I did get a few offers here and there from people in the same social circle, but I didn't like the idea of prom in the first place. I figured, if I'm gonna be there with someone I didn't feel anything for, might as well just stay at home and do things-- or not do anything at home. That was fine with me too.

I just didn't want to deal with all the questions from people concerning Harry and why we didn't go together.

I didn't want to be a crying mess when I see him too, and that's not a 'what if' kind of thing. I know I will be a crying mess.

I didn't want to watch him dance with someone else and put a smile on her face as he stares right into her eyes while he pushes the loose strands of her hair behind her ear.

I didn't want to imagine the sweet nothings he'd definitely be whispering in her ear as they danced to Chasing Cars, which was our song, by the way.

The thought of it all was enough to make me shed a few (hmm, maybe more than just a few) tears.

So this must how a broken heart must feel like, huh?

I wish they warned me sooner that the second you lose control over your heart, you also lose the control to your tear ducts.

Staring at my wall and watching time pass me by is definitely the more attractive option so that was what I was doing. I was just lying in my bed like a sickly person, staring at the pearl white wallpaper, letting my mind wander off, when my mother bursted into my room, followed by what she liked to call our personal "glam team".

She scolded me in front of them, but I couldn't care any less anymore. I didn't even look at her as she scolded me about how 1) I can't miss prom, 2) how unladylike I was acting that moment, 3) how Sherri Hill spent so much time making my Prom dress just for me, 4) and how there's a lot of fishes in the see and Harry is just some boy from Brooklyn so he shouldn't affect me like this.

Trust me, mom.

I wish I can convince my heart that Harry is just another fish in the sea or that he's just some boy and that he shouldn't affect me the way he did.

I wanted to tell her that if I could, I would've done it already.

But the thing is, I can't.

I can't just unlove someone with a snap of my fingers the way I can't just blink my feelings away.

As cheesy and sickening it must sound, I never viewed him as a fish in the sea. He was the only fish in my sea.

He's not just some boy to me because Harry was it for me.

Because I refused to look at my mother or talk to her, she took it upon herself to make Prom happen for me. She had three of our bodyguards carry me to a chair as the glam team tried to turn the pumpkin in me into Cinderella.