TEOYAM | 17. Lumière, Over Me

I was resting my chin on the palm of my hand, completely bored and out of things to do at the bar. Not that there weren't things I could do. I was just not feeling the environment I was in. It's a bit of a shocker, I know. It will be more of a shocker when I tell you where the hell I was.

I was at Penny's Annual Birthday Party Rave.

Penny is known around town as the Rave Queen of all prep schools in the east coast or arguably, the whole United States of America. Nobody throws a rave as crazy, fun, and mind blowing as Penny. Ever since she threw her first Birthday Party Rave when she turned 16, it became an annual thing everyone looked forward to. Getting an invitation to her Birthday Party Rave was like getting VIP passes to Coachella without paying a single penny (no pun intended). Everybody-- and I mean, everybody-- would kill to be where I was right now.

And yet there I was, glancing at my phone, that was placed right next to my glass of iced tea (yes, just iced tea), every two minutes. I don't really know why I kept on checking my phone when I wasn't much of a texter unless I like the person I was texting. I had no one to text because Harry didn't have a new phone yet.

I ran a hand through my hair as I let out an aggravated sigh. What was happening to me? I hated how clingy I sounded and how I'm missing him. This can't be normal. Is this how people act when they have feelings for someone? Does it really have to take over their whole mind, body, and heart? I haven't stopped thinking about him since the last time we talked, which was two days ago. All I could think about was how much I miss him and how much I want to see him again. If Ronnie from three years ago was with me, she'd puke from hearing my thoughts. I hated it.

It was a little past twelve midnight. Usually, at that time I would've been too wasted to stand. And yet, there I was, completely aware of my surroundings. I could actually recall what song was playing, where I placed my bag, who said hi to me a few minutes ago, how many glasses of iced tea I drank, and basically, everything there is to remember about that night. It was new.

Sighing, I got up from the bar stool and walked through the crowd. Maybe some air would do me good. As I walked towards the back door exit, I can't help but observe the people around me. Some were dancing. Some were making out. And, some were too wasted to do anything they weren't going to regret the next day.

While walking, I found herself thinking about why I wasn't exactly getting drunk that night. It was because of Harry. I was staying sober because I didn't want to hook up with Drew or some other guy. He was to blame for my actions in Miami-- or in this case, the lack of action-- and he was to blame for this as well.

Stopping in my tracks, I looked around me and was hoping to spot that familiar mop of hair I liked running my hands through, but failed. Maybe he didn't go after all. I mean, I know Penny would've invited him because of me. She did mention that about fifteen times when I phoned her on my way back to New York. She said it would hopefully motivate me to not miss her party, not that I would miss it for anything in the world. Penny was one of my best friends. She was crazy, but she's sentimental and cheesy-- probably even cheesier than Rachel whenever Rachel's drunk and she's begging us all to watch The Notebook for the nth time.

Looking down at my feet, I excused myself as I continued to walk. I just wanted to go somewhere I could breathe and think things through more properly. Lost in my own world, it took me a few seconds to realize that someone had bumped into me harder than I would've liked. Next thing I know, I was screaming as I tried to reach for something-- anything to break my fall. But I failed. With my eyes tightly shut, I waited for my body to hit the floor.

But there was nothing.

Well, except for the somewhat muscular arm that found its way to be wrapped around my waist.