TEOYAM | 02. Start of Something New

I wrapped my arms around my body as I pursed my lips. I was looking at the small crowd before me, but my eyes weren't really focused on anyone or anything. Everything was just blurry. I barely heard Cathy play the intro of Start of Something New because the voices inside my head and my heart thumping inside my chest drowned out everything else.

This was just humiliating.

Why were we even doing High School Freaking Musical?

We went from doing an awesome production of Grease to cheesy Disney teeny bopper musicals. Don't get me wrong, I loved High School Musical. I've watched the first installment about a million times-- when I was 12. At 16, I just saw it as a complete downgrade.

Living in my own world
Didn't understand
That anything can happen
When you take a chance

I snapped from my thoughts. My eyes widened for a second or two as I stood there, stunned, just like everybody else in that room. I fought the urge to turn my head and look at the person that now captured my attention with his raspy voice.

Who even knew that he could sing? No, who gave this boy the right to sing like that?

He sounded like an angel. He had one of the most beautiful singing voices I've ever heard, even until now. I mean, there are people who could sing better than he can, but there was something about the way he sang that just captured me right then and there. It was the way he sang right from the heart, even if the song was something as silly as Start Of Something New. The talent he had was just undeniable.

In a short span of time, he had already encouraged me to just go with whatever it was that Mrs. Wilcox was asking us to do. He didn't even talk me into doing it. He just sang his part. He reached out to me on an artistic level and I was reminded that I had to portray a role. On that stage and at that moment, Ronnie does not exist. There was only Gabriella and Troy. Yes, I still think doing our very own High School Musical was lame. But if he went with it, then so will I. We're all professionals here anyway, right? Giving this a try couldn't possibly be that bad. I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat. Inching closer to the mic in front of me, I opened my mouth and I started singing.

I never believed in
What I couldn't see

I saw him staring at me from the corner of my eye when I sang. I fought the urge to smile at that moment and just focused on singing, at least for now.

I never opened my heart

Ohhh

My head snapped in his direction after he did that little adlib, failing at keeping the smile that was now plastered on my face hidden.

To all the possibilities
Oohh

I looked back into the crowd and I could see the huge smile on Mrs. Wilcox's face. She was enjoying this, I could tell by the sparkle in her eyes. A huge smile appeared on her features when we sang the next parts, nailing the harmony.

I know
That something has changed
Never felt this way
And right here tonight
This could be the

I glanced at him and saw him looking at me. He quickly looked away, making me smile. Was he nervous for getting caught?

Start of something new
It feels so right
To be here with you
Ohhh
And now looking in your eyes
I feel in my heart
The start of something new

Now who would've ever thought that
We'd both be here tonight
Oohh, yeah

I couldn't help but burst into laughter when he took off his blazer, very much like Zac Efron did in the movie. Did this boy watch High School Musical religiously or what?