Chapter Three >>

“You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” 

― Jonathan Safran Foer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Three // Jenna's POV

"You don't have to go if you don't want to." My dad pleaded trying to get me to stay home again but I shook my head at him. 

"You've got to face the music sometime. Besides I have already missed enough school as it is." Getting out from my closet I'm dressed in light wash distressed jeans, a white camisole, grey long sleeved cardigan, and dark brown riding boots. 

He sighed running a hand down his face. "Jenna I---."

I interrupted. "Dad, I'm fine okay."

"Okay," He let out a breath. "If you think you are ready. We'll try it out today but if the slightest thing goes wrong---."

"If something goes wrong I'll send up my bat signals right away."

His eyes looked me over for a few seconds with a slight smile on his face. Approaching me his arms wrapped around my body. "I'm so happy you're okay princess. I love you so much."

His voice almost cracked making me hug him even tighter.

"I love you too dad." He squeezed me once more before letting go.

"Alright, let's get out of here before I change my mind and chain you up in the basement." 

"What?" I inquire giving him a skeptical look.

He chuckled looping his arm through mine and pulling me towards the door. "Oh nothing sweetheart."

"Sometimes I wonder what's going through your head but then I think about it, and I really don't."

"No, you really don't." He cackled opening the squad car door letting me sit up front with him.

--

The ride to school was pretty silent until I tried to touch the radio and my dad threatened to make me sit in the back like all the other criminals to which I replied:

So it is now a crime to touch your radio?

His riposte was: Yes, in all fifty states including Canada, the United Kingdom, and parts of Uruguay.

What a weirdo.

Anyway after a five minute safety lecture I was finally let out of the car where I was greeted by Allison and Lydia.

"You really don't remember anything?" She questioned us trotting up the stairs.

"Nope, not a thing." I retorted.

"They call it a fugue state, which is basically a way of saying we have no idea why you can't remember running naked in the woods for two days." She stepped at the door way. "But personally, I don't care. I lose nine pounds."

I snorted while they chuckled. She might have lost nine pounds, but I probably gained some. Thanks metabolism, great work. 

She put a hand on both of our arms. "Are you two ready for this?"

I shrugged pulling out of his grip. Human contact made me kind of itchy right now. 

"Please." Lydia scoffed. "It's not like my aunt's a serial killer."