Chapter Twenty One>>

"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing, right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's gaurdians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you."

 ---Richelle Mead, The Vampire Academy

(I just re-read this series ^^  and out of every book, every sentence, this fragment has to be my favorite. I love them two so much!)

Chapter Twenty One >>

"LET ME OUT!" Jackson roared as we opened the back hatch, causing Stiles to fall backward in fright. I rolled my eyes.

"No." I deadpanned climbing in, sitting across from the half-naked lizard creature.

"What do you mean 'no'?" He growled staring me down as I sat. Stiles put his hand on my shoulder, giving me a warning that I was getting too close. I could handle myself though.

"Jackson, you are killing people. If we let you out, you might kill even more people." I announced trying to make myself comfortable on the bench seats. Not that it was working.

"And until we can figure out how to stop you, you are going to stay. I'm sorry." Stiles muttered before turning back to the sack in his hand. "Now, do you want the ham and cheese or the turkey club? Jenna."

Stiles handed me my sandwich while glancing at Jackson who looked like he wanted to rip both of our throats out and slam them down the hole that would be left.

"You actually think my parents won't be looking for me?" He hissed. Stiles shrugged throwing the ham and cheese at him, grabbing Jackson's phone from his pocket. "Well, not if they don't think anything's wrong." He showed him the text with a smirk on his face. "Yeah."

I rolled my eyes taking a bite of the sandwich. Jackson repeated the action not even three seconds later, minus eating the sandwich.

After a few moments of chewing and awkward silence Jackson spoke up. "So how exactly am I killing people?"

I finished off my sandwich, wadding the wrapper in my hand. "You turn into the kanima, and kill them  with your claws."

"I'm the kanima?" He questioned with eyebrows raised. 

"That's what I said isn't it?" I growled in annoyance. Stiles put his hand on top of my thigh telling me to calm down.

"So if I am the kanima, what do I look like?" Stiles leaned back propping his feet up on the other side  of the van, on the metal bench. 

"You have scales." He replied. 

"Scales, like a fish?" 

I shook my head, switching up my position so that my head laid in Stiles' lap. His hands wove themselves into my hair massaging my scalp. "No, more like a reptile."

Jackson rolled his eyes for the millionth time today. "And your claws have this liquid that paralyzes people, and you have a tail."

"I have a tail?"

I glared at him. "He didn't stutter."

Jackson scowled at me, his hands tightening into fists. "Does it do anything?"