Potion Lessons for the Lion

I poked at the sputtering flame under a cauldron with a long wick in an effort to get it to stay lit. I could have moved to a different workbench but the lighting in the dank potions chamber was best by the window—where I was standing. Not to mention, I'd already laid out the cutting board, pestle and mortar along with several other items and I didn't feel like moving them.

     Electricity sizzled along my skin. As had become customary, my eyes drew to the door moments before Harry entered the room.

     His cheeks were flushed, and he was breathing heavily. "Sorry, I was playing quidditch and was knocked into a puddle of mud." He chuckled. "I had to rinse off before coming here. I didn't think Professor Slughorn wants me dragging dirt through the room."

     "Are you okay?" I glanced at his arms to see if he had any visible injuries.

     "I'm fine, but it took forever to get it out of my hair."

     I stepped close to him and ran my thumb over the top of his ear. Harry froze at my touch. "You missed a bit." I smiled and showed him the brown gook on my thumb.

     "Oh, thanks." He blushed. "By the way, I appreciate you tutoring me. I need to pass potions for my future career."

     "And what would that be? A brewer?"

     "No, I intend to rid the world of evil as an Auror." He smiled while planting his feet apart and resting his hands on his hips.

     "Haven't you put your life in enough danger for the wizarding world?" Merlin, I sound like a whiny housewife.

     "I live for danger. Why do you think we're friends?" He smiled.

     "You can't be serious!"

     "We're not friends?" He frowned, and his eyes darted away.

     "That's not what I said, Harry. I don't think you need to put your life on the line for everyone anymore." Just me.

     "Be careful, I might start to think you care about me." His emerald eyes sparkled. "And yes, I want to be an Auror."

     "Pff." The fact that he would put his life on the line for other people was so like him. And I found him even more attractive for it—as if I needed more excuses.

     "What do you plan on doing with yourself after school is over?"

     I shrugged and plucked a dust mite off my sleeve. "I don't have to work."

     "Oh, right. You are beyond wealthy."

     "You say that like it's a bad thing. Should I be ashamed that I come from a family that's done well financially for hundreds of years?"

     "I didn't mean to offend you or anything. I just meant what will you be doing with all that free time you'll have for the rest of your life?"

     I stuck my tongue out at him, eliciting laughter. "I'm not sure yet."

     He pointed to the bottles lining the walls. "You could be my personal physician. I'm sure I'll have battle wounds from keeping Wizard kind safe."

     I leaned on the table, admiring his eyes. "I suppose I could play personal healer with you."

     "Perfect." His smile was more intoxicating than a bottle of Firewhiskey.

    Clearing my throat and asked, "Shall we get to work?"

     "Yes, Professor Malfoy. What's on the agenda for today?"