A Walk with a Snake

The afternoon sun warmed my skin, and the air held the comforting smell of autumn leaves. It was perfect for riding my broom. I couldn't wait to meet up with Ron and a few other Gryffindor's at the Pitch to do just that.

     A chorus of laughing voices echoed down the corridor from the courtyard ahead. Slowing to a stop, I peered around a large archway. My pulse skyrocketed when I spotted the guy who slithered into my dreams for the past week.

     My angelic tormentor sat at a trickling water fountain. I spotted all the usual suspects along with Seth Diggory, the much sought after Hufflepuff beater.

     Nott stood on the edge of the fountain. "The other seeker was within inches of winning the game." The rabbit-faced guy backflipped off of the fountain, landing with a smile. "But Malfoy was lightning fast and snagged the snitch out from under him." 

     "I haven't seen a steal that good in ages," Goyle said before they all began chattering like a flock of birds.

     Draco blushed at whatever Diggory, whispered into his ear. He squeezed the Hufflepuff's leg, and I felt little cuts in my chest as jealousy clawed at me.

     When I noticed Pansy shooting eye daggers at Seth, I couldn't help but chuckle. Although I didn't like the idea of Diggory touching him, it was way better than the ugly, spoilt, pug-nosed girl.

     I watched for another minute, wishing I was sitting with Malfoy. With a heavy sigh, I shoved myself away from the archway and took a few steps towards the Pitch.

     "Potter," he called out.

     My heart jumped in my throat. Turning, I watched Draco glide to me, while Seth and Pansy pouted at his back.

     "Hello, Malfoy." Blood pounded in my ears, and I hoped I sounded more confident than I felt.

     His silver eyes twinkled at me. "Mind if I join you?"

     "What's wrong? You want to get away from all your groupies so badly that you'd walk with the likes of me?"

     Malfoy glanced over his shoulder. "You could say that."

     "I'm on my way to the Pitch to meet up with Ron and some friends."

     "I'll be sure and slither off before they see me," he offered.

     "Sure, I don't care if they see you." We walked in that direction before I asked, "I hear you joined the English National Quidditch Team."

     His laughter filled my head with a pleasant fuzziness. "I wish but, no. It's a local group who love the game. Although we were number one in our division."

     "That's something."

     "I was in rubbish shape and needed to keep busy this summer, so I signed up." He straightened out his shirt sleeves, and picked off anything that didn't belong.

     "You're no longer on the team?"

     He shook his head. "No, I figured keeping on top of classwork and making up for my past mistakes was more than enough to keep me busy until graduation."

     My eyes traveled along his jaw—admiring every inch of it. The impulse to run my tongue there and see if the light stubble would feel good was beyond distracting.

     "Enjoying the view?" Amusement colored his tone.

     I felt my cheeks heat. "Actually, a few rumors were running around Hogwarts. Some are quite creative."

     "Oh?" He quirked his eyebrow. "Let's hear them then." A devilish smile pulled across his pale lips.

     "I hear you spent the summer shacking up with a few of the Holyhead Harpies."