•The Book (4)•

Dean Corso
~~~

"I don't get it

"I don't get it. She used me to get off?"
"Seems like it." The girl sit criss cross on the floor as he paced the room.
"And you urged me to sleep with her?"
"Did I? I don't remember that part." She shrugged.

He grumbled, taking a pack of cigarettes out his pocket and lighting one, blowing the smoke out his nose.

"Hey you said you stopped smoking." She stood, grabbing the pack out his hand.
"Yeah I did."
"You know that's a bad idea. It's just going to speed up the process."
"What's the point? I might as well drop dead right now." He rolled his eyes, taking another puff.

She shakes her head taking the cigarette from his hand and tossing it off the balcony.

"What the hell? I wasn't done!"
"Listen if you die, I die. I'll be damned if we go out cause you want to speed up cancer."
"Go away." He squeezed his eyes shut for a second.

When he opened them, she was gone and the pack of cigarettes were on the ground in front of him. He picked it up and put another one to his lips. He looked around for his lighter and groaned when it was nowhere to be found.

"Jokes on you. I can buy another one." He rolled his eyes.

The day went on and you finished your shift at work. You didn't feel like cooking so you ordered out for dinner. Now you sat on your couch watching Netflix. As you sat your plate down something caught your eye under the table.

"What is this?" You pick the paper up and open it. Test results? For Dean. You really shouldn't read something that confidential but that thought didn't stop you. You skimmed the information mostly until you got to the chart.

Lung Cancer positive. Stage 3.

"Oh my god." You slip it into your pocket and grab your shoes and purse.

You go to the hotel Dean told you he was staying at.
"Hi. I need to know what room Dean Corso is staying in."
"Your relationship with him?"
"I'm his uh wife." You gulped down. She nods and looks at a list.
"302." She says pointing to the elevator.

When you find the room, you knocked frantically on the door.
"What do you wa-" He swings it open.
"You're dying?"
"I guess." He chuckles. "What is that all?"
"No. I'm sorry."
"You saying that cause I'm dying?"
"No Dean. I was wrong. And stupid and I took advantage of you so I'm sorry."

He thinks for a minute and realizes your sincerity. He opens the door wider and welcomes you in, closing the door behind you.

"How long do you have?"
"I don't know."
"Dean why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't want you worrying sweethe-" He stops himself and sighs. "Y/N."

You look around the small hotel room. You pick up the pack of cigarettes on the counter and scoff.

"Seriously?"
"What?"
"All that smoking is what did this to you." You stepped to him poking your finger in his chest.
"Being this close to me is dangerous don't you think? You want to say something manipulative to get me in the mood?" He whispers and smirks, pushing you away from him.

He takes the cigarette pack and stuffs it in his pocket.
"I'm fine. I don't need you anymore."

Now that hurt. What did he mean he didn't need you? You were his everything just hours ago and now he wanted nothing to do with you.

"Oh? That hurt didn't it?" He says sarcastically. "Imagine how I feel."
"I said I was sorry." Your voice broke.
"I heard what you said, beautiful." He lifted your chin. "You took advantage of me y/n. I love you. You know that."
"I love you too."
"Don't you lie to me." He traced his thumb across your bottom lip.

"I'm not I swear. I love you Dean. Always have." You pressed your forehead against his.
"God you're impossible to say no to." He whispers and you smile. "I love you too. But don't play around with my feelings like that."

You nod pressing his lips against yours. He smiled through the kiss, lifting you up a little.

"So what now?" He breaks the kiss.
"We'll figure it out."
"And the book?"
"I just want to be with you okay?"
"Alright."

Truth was, he had to die to get rid of the book. He knew that. He just needed an excuse to see you before he took his last breath. Sure you gave him the run around but eventually, a year and a half later, his time had come around.

Time jump...

The steady beeping of the machine and Dean's ragged breathing was all that kept you from crying.

"How do you feel?" He kissed your hand.
"Stop. I'm fine." You smile.
"Don't look so sad." He spoke before his coughing fit.
"Hard to do that when the love of my life is dying in front of me."
"Hey don't say it like that." He closes his eyes. "I'm just taking a really long nap." He laughs, dragging out the really. "Get some rest. I'll be here when you wake up."

You do as he says. The exhaustion overtaking you almost immediately. What woke you up?

The sound of his heart stopping. The beep didn't have the pauses in between anymore. Now it was like a high pitched scream and in your head, it didn't end.

"Dean? No. I'm not ready." You cried, hugging his limp body. "I love you, Dean." You kissed his forehead as they pulled the sheet over him.

Your mother comforted you, shushing you as you cried into her chest. Small whispers of encouragement were everything now.

At his funeral you were the last one to leave. Setting a single rose on top of his coffin.

"We'll meet again sweetheart."

Word Count: 989

Sooo that turned sad. I didn't plan for it to go that way when I first started it lol. Anyways I might start a Chris Evans imagine book cause this little crush of mine is not budging.