chapter 12 | Ethereal

Start from the beginning

"You wouldn't have done it even if I wasn't drugged or drunk...?" she gazes at me when I can barely believe this is real life. I stare at her with astonishment, wondering if she truly asked this question. "Why do you ask this?"

She shrugs but now looks down at her food. She takes her chopsticks as I'm letting the silence linger. She doesn't make eye contact anymore but eats. "Tell me."

"I just asked randomly," she answers in a cold manner but fills her mouth with some pieces of strawberry. I don't give her my response to this question since I can't tell her the truth. If I said that I wouldn't have done it, it would only have been for an ethical reason. I exhale sharply but eat the food as my own thoughts are making me go insane.

"I'm sorry about last night, I shouldn't have insisted to go there," she changes of topic and apologizes for something that only occurred because of an asshole, but I don't let her think such a thing. "Don't say sorry. You're not to blame, he's the one who caused this. Not you."

"Yes, but I shouldn't have gone there," she still makes it sound like she's at fault, so I gaze up at her and disagree. "Stop saying that. You didn't do anything bad, and if that piece of shit didn't drug you, everything would have gone well."

"If you say so..." she sighs but finally listens to my words. I shake my head out of disbelief but smile, diving back into my meal to feed my stomach. I take a look at her, repeatedly, but as the quietness is filling the room for a longer time, my eyes notice a pinkish tone growing on her face. That's cute but odd.

"Why are you blushing?" I put forth in order to tease her and release the tension, but she chews on a pancake. "Just...I kinda recall some things now and...I...You must have been disgusted last night..." she barely articulates while eating, but I frown at her. "What are you talking about?"

"Me..." she raises her eyebrows but shrugs once more. "My body when I was naked..." her inaudible words run away from her red lips, but I don't let this echo through my house. "A naked woman is anything but disgusting to me, all right?" my straightforwardness gets her to shoot her eyes up, but I don't blink or glance away. "I wasn't disgusted at all if you want me to tell the truth. So don't think otherwise."

Her cheeks turn even brighter in color, but I smile. "All right?"

"I just...I don't find myself attractive or as sexy as other women when they're naked so...yeah..." she nibbles on her upper lip like a cute girl but I drop my chopsticks to my dish. "Are you really going to make me say some things I don't have the right to say?"

"Like...?" she forces me to let it out but I pass my tongue over my lips and speak honestly. "Like, you're sexy and any real man would find you sexy as well."

Now she tries to hide her shy smile. I chuckle but grab my glass to drink. I know I shouldn't say those things to her, but whenever I see that some words like those are able to give her some confidence, I don't regret it. "Do you want to go to the beach today?" I put my glass down but gaze at her, hoping for her to like this idea. "The beach? I don't have a swimsuit."

"It's all right, you take your underwear,  and I can lend you one of my t-shirts if you want," I propose. "Then yes, I absolutely want to go but when?"

"I feel like this will be better if it's in the evening, with fewer people around, and the sunset. What do you think?" I ask but see she's not disagreeing, she's only showing some happiness. "Yes, this is the best."

"Great," I smile now that I know we're going to spend some time at one of my favorite places. I thought she would feel uncomfortable around me after this incident, so that's comforting to see her react like that. And honestly, seeing her smile is a relief, I was terrified about the fact she could not have woken up.