Chapter 18

I sat back in the plush seats of the white Rolls Royce wedding car, en route to the church. The car was deathly silent apart from the soft hum of the engine rumbling beneath us. And my mother's occasional sob.  

"My little girl.." She'd cry. "All grown up! Marrying a Beatle for heaven's sake!" She'd add, her voice shrill and excited. 

As we drove further into the countryside, I glanced out of the window. The familiar dull grey, city life was quickly disappearing behind me. The air became less foggy and more fresh, the sky seemed bluer, the grass greener and the wild flowers danced in the light wind.  

"Millie!" Jane snapped and nudged me in the ribs. 

I turned my face from the window and looked at Jane, her fiery orange hair freshly washed and tied into a top knot on the top of her head. She looked beautiful. As always. 

"We're here." She smiled, flashing her perfect teeth and nodded out the window. Her sweet voice sent a million memories from the nightmare I had the previous night, flooding back to me. 

What if John and Jane really were together? What if he loved her and not me?! What if the dream was some sort of sign? I shook it off and took a deep breath. 

The car slowed and came to a halt. The driver hopped out and opened my door, holding his gloved hand out.  

"Are you ready?" My mum, squealed from the opposite side of the car.  

I nodded my head once and smiled weakly, my stomach churning. 

Slipping out of the car, I clutched the driver's hand for support, as my legs shook beneath me. I smiled gratefully at him and glanced around the church grounds. 

The old sandstone church was quaint and very small, set in the middle of the countryside. But it was the only place available on such short notice. It was amazing what John had done since he had asked me to marry him, a mere five days ago. 

"Everyone's all ready inside..we must be late!" Jane spoke and began ushering me toward the door, my mum following closely behind. 

The church door echoed as it slammed behind us. We stood in a little hallway, a wooden door facing us, which led into the church were the guests were eagerly waiting. 

My mum took my hand and kissed it, standing proudly beside me, ready to walk me up the aisle. 

"You look beautiful." Jane cooed and kissed my check. I smiled and took a shaky breath. 

"I'm not going to cry.!" I whispered to myself. "I'm not going to cry."  

The doors opened in front of us, as the congregation of mine and John's family stood and turned to face me.  

The wedding march began to play from the far corner of the cosy church. 

I took a shaky first step out onto the aisle, clutching my mum's arm for support.  

I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but as soon as I spotted John, nervously standing at the altar, dressed in a full suit, my bottom lip began to quiver.

******

"Do you John Winston Lennon take Millie to be your lawful wedded wife?"

The milliseconds between the priests question and John's keen reply seemed to drag on forever.  

I convinced myself that John would say no. That he would leave me right there and then. Leave me for Jane. But, thankfully that didn't happen.

"Of course I do!" John cheered, clutching my hand an staring into my eyes.

"I now pronounce you man and wife! You may kiss the bride!"

John leaned closer and his familiar, comforting scent filled my lungs. His brown eyes stared into mine as he snaked his arms around my waist.  

He slowly planted a long, warm kiss on my lips, which sent shivers down my spine. 

"I love you, Millie." He whispered in my ear. "You do know that, right?" 

I nodded quickly, a grin stretching over my face.

"Good." He said, kissing me again.

Suddenly he scooped me up in his arms and headed for the church exit, both of us laughing hysterically.  

"Now! It's time to party!!" George cheered and leapt up. Ringo, Paul and everyone else followed suit, as we all left the church.