Chapter 19

As I walked hand in hand with John, into the large ballroom filled with hundreds of smiling faces of our friends and family, I signed with contempt.

"I love you." John whispered into my ear, for the thousandth time that day. Each time he said it, butterflies danced manically in my stomach and a lump arose in my throat.

"So.." He said, as we glided about the room, mingling with guests. "How does it feel to be Mrs.Lennon?"

I thought about it for a moment before answering. "You know that feeling when you wake up on Christmas morning as a child?" He nodded.

"It's like that! Except its like every single Christmas and birthday combined! Everyday. Every second I spend with you is greater than that."

"Wow." He replied, grinning foolishly. "I mustn't be as bad as I thought!"

******

The night flew in, the party was in full swing, we had our first dance, everything was perfect.

I had spoken to everyone in the whole place, except Paul. Paul was nowhere to be found.

"John!" I called and rushed up behind him. He was dancing with my mother. A large smile flourished my face. He twirled her around and dipped her in his arms, sending her off in a spin of tipsy giggles.

"Yes, dear?" He said, cupping my chin.

"I..I..um.." I stuttered. I had gotten lost in his eyes. His deep brown, puppy dog eyes. I had looked into his eyes a million times before, but each time I did, I turned to jelly.

"What is it, love?" John asked, swaying with me.

"Paul!" I shouted slightly, remembering. "Where's Paul gotten go?"

John thought about it for a moment and glanced around the candle lit room. He pointed through the crowd, to a corner where Paul was sitting alone holding a champagne flute.

My brow furrowed as I spotted him.

John kissed my cheek and spoke softly. "Go talk to him."

He suddenly disappeared into the crowd of people and left me standing alone.

As I made my way over to Paul, he never once looked up to notice me.

"Paul? Hi!" I smiled.

He looked up slowly as I sat beside him. This part of the room was quieter..and lonelier.

"Are you having a nice day?" I asked, as if talking to a stranger or a child.

He nodded once and took a sip of champagne.

It became silent and awkward.

"I'm happy for you, yknow." Paul whispered, so quietly I could barely hear him.

"I know, I know." I cooed and wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

He smiled and looked up at me, his hazel eyes sparkling.

"You'll make a great wife and a mother one day. I'll always be here for you. Always." He began to take another gulp of champagne.

"Hey, enough of that!" I teased and grabbed the glass from his hand, placing it on a small table beside us.

"How about we dance, eh?" I added.

His eyes lit up as I dragged him from his chair and into the middle of the ballroom.

******

"There's someone id like you to meet!" I screamed over the music to Paul.

"What?" He cried back, laughing hysterically.

"Follow me." I giggled and dragged him behind me by the arm.

I led him up to my best friend.

She turned around as we approached, a confused look on her face.

"Paul.." I smiled. "I want you to meet my very special friend."

He chuckled and blushed slightly.

"Paul McCartney I want you to meet Jane Asher!" I introduced them to each other.

Jane looked at me in sheer delight, her eyes wide with excitement. Meanwhile, Paul fixed up his tie and turned on the charm, kissing her hand and complimenting every aspect of her. I could tell they were both smitten.

"I'll leave you to it!" I spoke as I walked away, feeling proud.

"There you are." Someone whispered into my ear, sending shivers down my back. John.

"I haven't seen you all evening." He added.

"I've been busy!" I chuckled and nodded at Paul and Jane.

"Hmm..well done." John smiled and kissed me.

"Have you enjoyed your day?" He asked, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Our day." I corrected. "And yes."

"How are you feeling?" He asked again.

"Fantastic, now." I answered, as he pulled me closer. "What is this? Twenty questions!" I joked.

"I have one more.."

"Go on." I giggled.

"Are you ready to spend the rest of your life with me?" John asked, looking me in the eye.

"Oh, I believe I am." I replied, kissing him slowly.

*********

THE END!

**A/N**

So that's it guys, it's all over. Thank you to everyone who's ever read, commented, voted and fanned. It means so much to me! I love you all. X

-Aoife.