22 | The Yellow House

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

 We Found Each Other In The Dark  by City and Colour

────────── ♡ ──────────

Eventually, I find myself at The Gray Coastline. When my feet reach the soft sand of the seashore, I know that the worst is over. Quite frankly, The Gray Coastline always offers me such comfort. The crisp breeze and the salty fragrance of the ocean waft around me - the weather is perfect. The calm waves of the ocean are mesmerizing and the tides are gently billowing into the beach. While gazing into the sunrise over the glorious horizon, the low hum of the surf brings me peace.

Then suddenly, somewhere in the distance, I discover the faint silhouette of a person wandering alone on The Gray Coastline... I squint my eyes and peer across the beach to see the company. Surely enough, it's none other than Casper enjoying a leisurely stroll along the seashore. 

As I slowly begin to approach Casper, the winsome smile upon his face becomes more visible. With his mouth bent into an endearing little grin, Casper then forms a warmhearted expression. His curly hair is the typical tangled mess and the loose ringlets bounce during his movements. His adorable dimples have emerged upon his cheeks and they further adorn his charming grin. His subtle freckles are dancing across his skin that blossom with the color of springtime roses. However, it's his emerald green eyes that sparkle underneath the sunshine that I love the most.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey," I respond. 

The moment isn't as awkward as it should be - considering what had happened last night. However, there is something rather comfortable between us instead - I feel safe with Casper. Somehow I can appreciate that we are never upset with one another for long. Life is too short. And I think Casper knows that. Therefore, somewhere within his tender and precious smile, there is something that tells me that everything will be okay - and I admire that very much.

Casper gazes upon me fondly and then chuckles somewhat, "Fancy meeting you here."

"Quite..." I murmur under my breath, "This might be a rather nice coincidence for once."

He tilts his head to the side curiously, "To what do I owe the pleasure, fair maiden?"

I respond with an inward smile, "The pleasure is all mine..."

Casper and I continue to wander along The Gray Coastline and our friendly conversation carries on like the breeze. I tell him about last night and he listens. I tell him about today and he listens some more. Yes, I think everything is okay now. It just feels good to be with Casper again.

However, I'm quite far from better. I would say that I am safe for now - from melancholy and vulnerability - but just as the fading sunset eventually passes, so does everything else in this life. I have learned that everything is only temporary - I know that much - I'm just simultaneously learning to accept that. I feel true happiness when I am with Casper and that is enough for now.

Our conversation becomes delicate silence and I continue to wallow in sunshine and nostalgia. When I begin to ponder further, Casper notices that I'm quiet - and even more so than usual. Therefore, when he glimpses over at me, his eyebrows furrow with concern.

"Are you okay?" he asks me.

"Sometimes..." I answer him.

I once thought part of me had always secretly hoped that Casper would look at me and see the girl which I hid so well. However, the very moment I gaze into his eyes, I realize something else instead. When Casper looks at me, he looks at me like there is something there worth looking at.