14 | Strange Jealousy

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

Bloom  by The Paper Kites

────────── ♡ ──────────

RECCOMENDED START TIME

Look for the ♡ symbol within the paragraphs

and then play the song for the recommended start time

────────── ♡ ──────────

I slowly approach my window, prepared to meet the gruesome face of a serial killer or worse... My therapist aka The Dragon Lady disguised as a serial killer. I have skipped a few of our recent appointments, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the day she tries to get her revenge. Perhaps these are my last moments walking among the people of this cruel world.

TAP, TAP, TAP!

My skin is covered in goosebumps. The sharp noise sends chills through my spine. I close my eyes and inhale a deep breath, building up the courage to identify the source. As I tiptoe closer to the window, the sound becomes louder...

TAP, TAP, TAP!

Eventually, I open the window and carefully glance down at the ground... 

It's Casper. 

"You scared the shit out of me!" I shout at him under the sound of a whisper.

He cringes, "Sorry..."

However, when I realize how serious the situation had become, I release any frustration. Casper seems earnest. I roll my eyes and release a resigned sigh, "It's fine..."

He was standing underneath the pouring rain, throwing pebbles at my bedroom window. When Casper squints his eyes and peers through the rain, we make eye contact; it's intense yet fragile as if one of us looks away the other person will break...

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Not giving up..." he replies candidly, "I'm going to fight for you, Chloe."

There was residual tension between us. However, there seems to be warmth somewhere - a determined ember - ignited within our hearts that didn't cease beating, but continued to burn with the desire to never let go... We just couldn't let go.

"And why would you do that?" I question him.

"Because you're worth fighting for..." he answers with a soft voice.

The moment reminds me of ocean waves and their tendency to be graceful yet unpredictable. However, I have to be careful... My emotions are like wilting rose petals - delicate and slowly falling to pieces - one wrong move and I will crumble within his hands. Perhaps I'm covered in thorns, but if he is gentle with me, then he just might find something beautiful.

I roll my eyes and scoff, "But why stand outside in the rain? Why throw pebbles like coins into a wishing well? Why take a chance on the sad, broken girl that might not open the window?"

"I had to make sure you were okay..." he mentions with a tender expression.

"What if I'm not okay?" I remark with tears in my eyes, "What if I will never be okay?"

"I would prefer rainfall over sunshine..." he says quietly, "And I think that's why I would prefer you over anyone else."

"What are you implying?"