02 | Trust Issues

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

From Eden by Hozier

────────── ♡ ──────────

I turn around begrudgingly, my face scrunched up in awkward discomfort. With a precarious hand, I return the gesture and briefly wave at him. I was trying my best not to seem friendly, but clearly, my efforts were ignored. The boy took that as an invitation that prompted him to start walking over towards me with those same bouncy steps I hate so much.

"Well, well, well... What do we have here?" he eagerly investigates the situation with a smile big enough to put a Teletubby to shame, "I have never seen anyone out here on The Gray Coastline."

Fortunately, neither have I... Until now... I think to myself with disdain.

Without much consideration, my eyes narrow with irritation. I like to think this is just a survival technique like the animal instincts of wildlife. I would compare my social habits to that of a porcupine, similar to how they raise their quills and rattle the hollow ones at the end of its tail to ward off predators. I try to keep myself from annoying interactions from complete strangers... or anyone for that matter.

But despite my attempts of intimidation, the boy is adamant at maintaining the conversation. He props his hands on his hips and tilts his head with curiosity, "This is quite the surprise," he comments joyfully, "Do you come here often?"

I shrug.

"Do you live close by?" he asks, "Are you from the neighborhood?"

I shrug again.

"You don't talk much, do you?" he observes lightly, he seems amused.

Why the hell does he seem amused? I wonder while suddenly becoming aggravated, I'm using all my tricks. I've tried resting bitch face, I've tried ignoring him, why hasn't he given up by now?

The expression on his face is cheerful and oddly relaxed. I've only seen people look that way after smoking a huge doobie. Even though I haven't been nice towards him in the slightest, he's somehow still smiling. I can't imagine why he is so interested in someone like me. Maybe he's just being polite, or maybe he's just bored. I don't know what to make of it.

"I like your band logo on your t-shirt," he compliments, "Hozier is one of my favorite artists. I went to one of his concerts awhile ago. I think it's cool that the acoustics and voice in his live performance sound just like the version of the songs on his album."

I assume he's being sincere and not just making small talk. In all honesty, I am quite impressed that we share similar opinions on music artists. I haven't met anyone that prefers indie-folk musicians that don't smother their songs with auto-tune. I nearly find myself growing interested in this boy until I hinder my curiosity with an internal intervention.

Chloe, you're walking on thin ice here... Cute boys lead to talking, talking leads to conversation, conversation leads to a shit ton of trouble. You don't want a shit ton of trouble now, do you?

I can hardly endure the mixture of my social anxiety and the painful hypocrisy behind this interaction. What makes matters worse is the fact this really cute guy is staring at me and waiting for me to say something.

What the hell am I supposed to say?

He's friendly, super attractive, and has the same taste in music as me. That's terrifying. Actually, that's completely dangerous. I can't allow myself to fall susceptible to his tricks. I refuse to admire his curly hair, and his strong biceps, and his gorgeous smile that's the perfect representation of a Colgate commercial...