07 | Guilty Conscience

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

Silver And Gold by City And Colour

────────── ♡ ──────────

"What are you doing here?" I interrogate furiously.

"I could ask you the same thing," Robert says with his jaw clenched and his arms over his chest, "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Yeah, but-"

"I don't want to hear your excuses, young lady," he scolds, "You're in big trouble!"

My stomach is in knots and I can feel my palms getting sweaty. How did he know where I am? I doubt he's here by coincidence. He must have been looking for me. My eyebrows knit together in confusion, "How did you find me?"

"It's a small town; I figured you would be here," he narrows his eyes, "But that's beside the point - it's way past your curfew."

"I know," I agree curtly, "I was already walking back to the house."

"You should have been home hours ago," he argues, "You know the rules and now you will have to deal with the consequences."

This is all Casper's fault, I think to myself angrily, Actually, no... This is my fault. I was the one who waited for him in the first place. I was the one who was stupid enough to believe he would come back.

With my face as sour as lemons, my eyes taper into thin slits. I purse my lips and huff out my irritation, "This is ridiculous..." I mutter under my breath.

"Don't take that tone with me," he demands while pointing his finger, "And wipe that smug look off your face."

"What look? This is just my face!" I object after taking offense to his comment.

"Don't test my patience, Chloe," he threatens bitterly, "I'm going to count to 5 and you better start marching home before I get upset."

I squeeze my hands into fists and press my lips together. With a feeling of pure resentment, I scowl at him defiantly.

He returns the expression tenfold, "One..."

"Are you kidding me?" I remark with wry amusement.

"Two..." he continues.

I roll my eyes and scoff at him, "You're not really going to count are you?"

He raises his voice and proceeds counting, "Three..."

"Fine!" I surrender by shouting after I come to terms with the fact I'm totally screwed. I glare at him one last time before I begrudgingly start walking back towards the house.

After an uncomfortably long and awkward journey, we arrive at our front porch. I stop myself and stare at the door leading into the dungeon. I realize that enduring Susan's wrath will be far worse than Robert's. Unfortunately, she has a greater temper than him. I know my death will not be sudden nor swift; I will suffer the agony of her mind-numbing lecture before receiving my final punishment.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Robert asks me impatiently, "Get inside."

"I'm enjoying my last few seconds of freedom," I deadpan, "These past 16 years have been bittersweet, but the end has finally come."

"I've heard enough of your smart-aleck jokes," he asserts, "Get inside right now, or so help me, Lord-"

"Are you going to start counting again?" I taunt him sarcastically.