19 | Wonderwall

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

Sparks by Coldplay

────────── ♡ ──────────

The night sky is obsidian black, except for the horizon which is freckled with tiny, silver stars. The summer weather is balmy, except for the crisp and refreshing breeze that wafts around me. The air is filled with music and laughter - the sounds of freedom and summertime shenanigans. Tonight is the evening that I visit the Annual Seabrooke Carnival with Casper and his brothers.

"What carnival game should we play first?" asks Casper, dabbing the corn-dog ketchup away from his chin with a napkin; he has always been quite the messy eater.

I nibble on my cotton candy and relish in the sweetness. Then I notice a certain carnival game booth within the distance. The golden lightbulbs glow in the darkness and the booth seems rather warm and welcoming. I point in that direction, "Over there!" I suggest.

The four of us wander towards the carnival game booth that offers the classic game: ring toss. There are several glass bottles lined up within the booth and small, golden rings ready to toss. The prizes decorate the entire wall within the booth - I would like to win the huge teddy bear. The friendly man behind the booth smiles at us and then and asks if we want to play the game. With the nod my head, I hand him our carnival tickets and the man provides us with the rings.

Austin cracks his knuckles and smirks, "Watch and learn..."

Logan rolls his eyes and leans towards me, "Austin has always been rather competitive..."

Casper chuckles and then chimes in, "But lacks the skill and coordination to compensate."

I watch incredulously as Austin tosses several rings and manages to miss every single bottle. Austin narrows his eyes to focus and yet continues to flub the game with terrible technique. Much to my surprise, I have never noticed how clumsy Austin is - he is quite the klutz!

With his jittery hands and wobbly kneecaps, I realize that Austin is completely hopeless. I'm honestly amazed. I have never seen someone execute a strategy so badly. Austin closes one eye and then skews his mouth to the side, frantically whirling the rings across the booth. However, this awfully desperate attempt to win the game doesn't help him whatsoever when he accidentally hits the booth-tender with one of the rings.

"Ouch!" he exclaims with frustration.

"My bad!" Austin cringes, "Umm... Did I win?"

"No..." he replies, "You lost. In fact, I feel compelled to give you a sympathy prize."

Austin raises his eyebrows with eagerness and perks up somewhat, "Really?" he says.

The booth-tender pauses for a moment, "No." he deadpans.

Austin folds his arms over his chest and then glares at the booth-tender. Logan pats his brother on the shoulder and tilts his head to the side, "Look on the bright side..."

"What bright side?"

"Hmm..." he pauses thoughtfully, "I guess there isn't one."

Austin glances at Casper, "Was I really that bad?"

He shrugs, "Let's just say that if your life depended on it, your epitaph would read: Austin Collins. Brother, Friend, Nincompoop."

Austin rolls his eyes, "I guess there goes my dream of ever being a professional ring-tosser."