10 | Cheeky Behavior

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

Gracious by Ben Howard

────────── ♡ ──────────

The night has fallen and the scent of summer rain lingers in the air. The sky is dark blue and fairly cloudy, causing the typically humid weather to become crisp for the evening. I wrap my arms around my body to brace myself from the sudden gust of brisk wind. The group gallivants across the empty roads, their amused laughter echoing through the streets. I smile inwardly at the unfamiliar feeling of being surrounded by new friends.

"Bullshit," says Billy, conversing with Tyler about the dumbest topic I can imagine. It's become quite obvious that they are both bona fide nincompoops.

"Dude, I'm serious! In the United States, the entire month of May was dedicated to Zombie Awareness," he explains, "All I'm saying is that although I might not have been ready for that math exam last semester, I'm certainly ready for the zombie apocalypse."

"You watched the Walking Dead one time and suddenly you're an expert on survival?"

"Okay, here's the plan," he begins, "Lock the doors, board the windows, and surround my entire house with treadmills."

"That actually doesn't sound like a terrible plan," he admits, "But mine is better... During the first wave, I'm prepared to just seek shelter in Costco. They have concrete walls, years of food and supplies, and best of all... the zombies can't get in without a Costco membership card."

"You guys are morons," Valerie rolls her eyes and chuckles snidely, "You probably can't even stand up to a spider crawling through your house."

I shake my head in disbelief and laugh at them under my breath. However, I realize that Casper isn't having nearly as much fun as they are. I glance over at him and frown slightly once I have witnessed his blank expression. There seems to be a hollow cavern in his heart; sadness flickers briefly in his eyes. When Casper notices that I'm staring at him, he quickly feigns a warm smile - but I know that it's not real... I take a deep breath and continue walking, hoping that being entertained by the movie will soothe the tension.

With our feet splashing in the puddles on the sidewalk, we approach the vintage cinema. The retro movie theater is a charming establishment that has been in Seabrooke for decades. Townsfolk have visited the Riverview Theater for new indie films since before I was born. I admire the aesthetic of the scenery. Neon signs illuminate the streets that are glossy from the rainfall. The glowing lights of the lampposts radiate golden hues that reflect against the surface of the water. Inside the movie theater looks warm and inviting.

 Inside the movie theater looks warm and inviting