Jane Austen

It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.

There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart.

There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.

Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort.

I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Angry people are not always wise.

I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

To sit in the shade on a fine day and look upon verdure is the most perfect refreshment.

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.

The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!

Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.

But for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short.

I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.

Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.

Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.