Jean-Paul Sartre

When the rich wage war it's the poor who die.

It's quite an undertaking to start loving somebody. You have to have energy, generosity, blindness. There is even a moment right at the start where you have to jump across an abyss: if you think about it you don't do it.

Hell is - other people.

Do you think that I count the days? There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk.

Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.

If you are lonely when you are alone, you are in bad company.

Commitment is an act, not a word.

Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth.

I'm going to smile, and my smile will sink down into your pupils, and heaven knows what it will become.

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees.

We are our choices.

All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in books.

You are -- your life, and nothing else.

There may be more beautiful times, but this one is ours.

I want to leave, to go somewhere where I should be really in my place, where I would fit in . . . but my place is nowhere; I am unwanted.

Words are loaded pistols.

The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.

In love, one and one are one.

He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this death weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being.

Smooth and smiling faces everywhere, but ruin in their eyes.