Chapter 39: Gardrinol's Orb

A movement in Griffin's peripheral vision alerted him to someone cautiously approaching. He turned to see Fern trekking through the sands, poultice and fresh bandages clutched in her hands.

"Hi," she greeted quietly upon reaching him. "I, uh, thought you might want me to check your injury."

Griffin nodded and lifted his shirt, displaying the bandages and a dark red-brown splotch where the wound had reopened. Fern moved closer and began to work, unwinding the soiled bandages, applying the poultice, and rebinding the gash.

"Here." Fern took off the long black cloak she'd been wearing and handed it to Griffin. He noticed that her own forest green cloak had been underneath. "I thought you might want this."

Griffin accepted the cloak gratefully. The desert night was bitingly cold, and he'd used up too much magic in his fight against Jolt to create his own out of magic.

"I, um. I wanted to talk to you," Fern said.

"If it's about the fight, I don't want to talk about it," Griffin replied stiffly.

Fern's eyes hardened. "Oh? And why is that?"

"I'd just rather not right now." Griffin turned his back on the dryad. "It's late. Shouldn't you be in camp?"

Fern stood quietly behind him. Then suddenly to his surprise she stomped around to face him again, honey-gold eyes gazing at him stubbornly. "No. I came to talk, and I won't leave until you listen."

"It was just a small fight, that's all," Griffin replied.

Fern frowned. "Just a small fight? You nearly...you almost..."

"I know!" Griffin snapped. He directed his eyes away from Fern's gaze, settling on the ashen lump where the cactus had stood. "I...shouldn't have gone that far. It's just that...that stupid phoenix infuriates me! He questions everything I do, rudely addresses me, and tries to create unnecessary trouble!"

"He acts that way for a reason. It's not entirely his fault," Fern said, tugging uncomfortably at her sleeve.

Griffin drew his gaze away from the ash, locking eyes with his old friend. "Why are you sticking up for him? Aren't you on my side?"

"Your side?" Fern crossed her arms. "Since when were there sides? And if there were sides, you're not exactly the perfect candidate, you know."

Griffin's eyes narrowed and he felt his heart begin to beat faster, magic swirling agitatedly beneath his skin. "Choose your next words very carefully, Fern."

The dryad didn't look in the least bit fazed. "Why? Or you'll attack me too? No. That's not who you are. I don't know what's been going on with you lately, but this has got to stop."

Griffin shook his head, trying to clear the buzzing irritation. "If this is about keeping Elder in the band, it's not like I'll physically stop them if they do end up leaving. I never said they couldn't leave."

"You sure made it sound like that."

"Whatever. If that's what it takes to keep Elder safe, then so be it." Griffin began to walk, trying to calm his breathes.

Fern immediately walked alongside him. "Keep the Elder safe? Or do you mean keep your pride intact?"

Griffin came to a halt and glared at her, breathing hard now. Fern stared unblinkingly back, waiting. He forced himself to look away, look straight ahead. Look away from her eyes.