Chapter 44: The Betrayal

Camp had been set up by the time Griffin exited the Burnt Sand Caverns. Quiet stares followed him as Griffin limped to the center of camp. He attempted to stand tall and straight despite how bruised and battered he felt.

"Griffin!" Fern raced over, eyes wide as her gaze landed on his bloody chest. "Hold still."

Griffin let the dryad clean out the wound and restitch and rebandage it, keeping a careful watch that she remembered to place the dryad stone against the wound. Once done, he shrugged her off and approached Ash. The phoenix was sitting in the sand next to Sir, his right arm in a make-shift sling.

"You made it," Ash acknowledged, standing up.

Griffin nodded. "Barely. Is anyone else hurt?"

"Sir and Celadon got a bit bruised, but otherwise just you and me."

"Good." Griffin limped over to the food bags and picked out some dried meats and bread. "Start handing out food."

Griffin made his way to the outskirts of the camp and gingerly sat down, wincing as pain zipped through his body. He dug into his dinner and took inventory of his wounds.

My ankle isn't broken, so that's good. It's just badly sprained. Lots of bruises. Cuts from the rock. The worst is my chest wound, but the Elder Object should help it heal quickly.

Griffin sighed and closed his eyes, chewing slowly. Behind him he could hear the others enjoying their meals as well, a low hum of whispered chatter accompanying the sounds of chewing. Jolt was the only one loud enough for him to make out any words. He seemed to be arguing with someone.

"What more do you need?! Let's tell Griffin and get this nightmare over with!"

Griffin turned around, eyes narrowed. "Tell me what?"

"That you're done," Jolt spat. "You're no longer our leader."

"What do you—"

"We all agreed," Night Shade interrupted quietly.

"Ees for da best," Celadon added.

Griffin clenched his fists. "Seriously? I just saved you all from getting eaten."

"Um, hello? You forced us into those caves. We wouldn't have had this problem if you'd listened to us," Venus said, hands on her hips.

"Don't question my judgements," Griffin growled to his newest member. "I had a good reason to enter those caves."

"Was it worth five lives?"

This last question came from Ash.

Griffin looked at the phoenix, searching for any bit of support. The phoenix didn't look angry, but the look in his unwavering gold eyes made Griffin uncomfortable. Ashamed.

Griffin lowered his gaze. "I didn't mean for that to happen."

"Nice words, but they won't bring back the dead," Jolt snarled, taking an aggressive step forward. Starlight laid a hand on his shoulder, holding him back.

Griffin crossed his arms. "What? So you're just gonna kick me out because of one little mistake?"

"It's not just one mistake," Night Shade argued.

"I concur. As of late, your demeanor and actions have been quite unsophisticated," Sir chimed in.

"And we're not kicking you out—merely asking you to step down from leadership," Ash clarified.