XXI.out of desperation

Start from the beginning

"Because I want someone, some whore to distract you so I could fucking get this land!" Devon roared back, the veins in his neck popping due to anger.

Genesis, without any second thoughts, slammed his fist to Devon's face, landing on his right eye, "Don't you dare call Agatha a whore, you lazy asshole,"

Devon nearly stumbled due to the impact yet did not strike back, instead, he simply curled his fists beside him, his knuckles turning white. "Why? Isn't it true? What kind of a woman sells herself, huh?"

"You know what, Devon, what the hell is your problem here? Do you want all these fucking cows? Then go ahead and fucking sell it, you good for nothing asshole,"

"Good for nothing asshole? Have you forgotten how am the reason why we have this fucking land? Have you? Have you?" Devon screamed and screamed, spitting out saliva everywhere due to extreme emotion.

They stood there for a second. Finally, Genesis calmly asked, "Devon, please, has something happened?" Biting both his lips, suppressing himself as his mind erases the horrid image once more, the screams this ranch enveloped before. The tale of how two gunslingers managed to own a property.

"I-i..."

Devon pulled his hair, his hands shaking, his eyes red, "I lost the ranch, Genesis, including your part. I gambled it and I lost, tha-that's it,"

Genesis was numbed when he heard Devon's confession. He was too sore to scream, to question his friend, to scold.

Instead, with his shoulders slumped, he patted Genesis' shoulder, his voice weak, "We-we'll settle this first thing in the morning, Devon. For now, sleep,"

Devon lifted his head, his hands still trembling, his eyes staring back at his friend whom he disappointed. In the end, he found himself just nodding back, his throat dry.

Before they knew it, Genesis was already strolling back inside, back to his bed-chamber, emotionless, numb, as if what Devon told him still hadn't registered his mind.

Devon, gambling the land then losing it.

When he got to his bed-chamber, Agatha was already seated in the bed, combing his fiery red hair. Genesis, his eyes glued to the ground, sat beside her, his shoulders still slumped.

Agatha gave him a confused and worried gaze, she snaked her soft pale hands along his arm, gazing up at him, "Wha-what's the matter, Gen?"

Genesis didn't reply, instead, he rested his head on her shoulder, staring at the window, his lips pressed when she felt his slender fingers stroke his hair.

"Everything-thing okay?" Agatha asked once more, arching her brow.

All Genesis could do is nod. After a minute, he rose from the bed, "I'll just go wash up, sweetheart," he excused, his voice weak.

Agatha knew something's amiss. Just a while ago, Genesis was in such a good mood, laughing and all yet here he is now, barely looking at her, frowning.

She knew she shouldn't press the matter with him for she knew Genesis would tell her when he feels like it. The last thing she has to do is to be understanding and don't be needy.

Letting out a soft sigh, Agatha tucked herself to bed but determined to still not sleep until Genesis joined her.

At the sound of soft footfalls behind her, her head turning back, before she could react, Devon was already sitting by her, encircling his arms around her waist and shoulders, forcing her to sit up in bed, her back against him as he pointed a pistol in her head.

Her eyes widening, pulse-quickening, skin turning cold, Agatha only managed to let out a soft shriek even as Devon pushed the pistol harder against her head, his breath near her throat as he whispers the words, "Let's see how brave you can be, hun,"