IX.first morn

For breakfast, Agatha prepared cornbread, cold bread, mushroom soup, and boiled eggs.

Genesis, already fully dressed for work in his usual white shirt, denim trouser, his dark Stetson hat in the other chair beside him, sat cozily, sipping the freshly-brewed coffee Agatha prepared seconds ago.

He has never tasted far better coffee than hers. When she replied in his letters, it didn't occur to her that with her pretty penmanship and shy replies, she would not only be a good cook, but rather an excellent cook.

"Ab-about the helpers, whe-where are they?" asked Agatha, tiptoeing as she grabbed the hung spatula.

"Even yo-your friend De-devon, where is he?" she added, carrying two plates, thus, setting it down the table.

"They're in town, they'll probably be back by the end of the week," he waited for Agatha to sit before him before he answered.

Genesis eyed her as she smoothened the back of her brown frock first before sitting, her red hair all tangled up, her sapphire blue plastered to her meal.

After sipping the mouth-watering mushroom soup, he commented, "You really do cook marvelously, Dear," then sipped another.

Agatha simply blushed at his compliment for no one has complimented her cooking back in Cedarburg. Sure, Mrs. Jennie Leroy, her employer, assigned her to cook as soon as she tasted her dish but that's that. She did not even give her a pay raise.

When Agatha asked her, Mrs. Leroy furiously told her that she was already staying in their washing room, what more would she even want?

"I-i could try baking later if you wa-want," she said, cutting the boiled egg.

"That's a wonderful idea, honey," exclaimed Genesis, smiling.

After breakfast was concluded, Genesis helped her wash the dishes which she disapproves of.

"I co-could manage, Sir," said Agatha, biting her lips as Genesis began wiping the dishes.

Yet, Genesis said nothing and with that, she said nothing as well. Truth is, it bothers her greatly that Genesis is washing the dishes. Doing the tasks she should be doing.

He was letting her stay in his massive house, providing her food, he was nothing but kind, understanding yet what did she do? She was letting him do his tasks.

All the only thing that's stopping Agatha felt like an utter burden. By cooking for him, washing the dishes, clothes and all. And of course, by giving him a son.

As soon as they're finished, Agatha watched as he strolled back to the table, his hand circling around his hat.

"Well, see you later," Genesis uttered, standing before Agatha who was pretending to be busy wiping her drenched hands onto the cloth near the sink.

Agatha surprised him when as he began walking towards the door, she did accompany him. "I'll bri-bring your lunch later,"

At the mention of that, Genesis couldn't stop himself from grinning, "That would be great, sweetheart,"

His delight elevated when they're in the doorstep, Agatha tiptoed, her soft hands curling around his broad shoulders, thus planting a swift kiss on his scruffy cheek.

That left him dumbfounded, absentmindedly, he raised his hand over where her soft lips landed.

He hasn't had the chance to reply for just as quickly did she kiss him, she was already out of his sight.

Genesis began walking away from the house, grinning, his heart soaring.

For the next hours, Agatha occupied her mind in cleaning the drawing-room despite its already clean state. She swept the floor, folded the blankets, cleaned the rugs, and hung it.

Just as she promised, Agatha delivered his lunch, wearing the cowboy hat he gave her.

Agatha could help herself from blushing at the sight that stood before her for he was cutting down the logs, half-naked.

His dark-skinned glistening with his beads of sweat, Agatha couldn't take her eyes off his broad biceps and the back muscles as he raised the ax.

However, her eyes stayed in his back due to the presence of numerous scars. Agatha almost inhaled in shock at such a sight but stopped herself quickly.

Agatha stood there dumbfounded, her heart beating after a second, Genesis took notice of her presence, halting, he buried the ax unto the massive log, his eyes lingering on the shy beautiful woman in front of him.

Before Genesis could greet her, Agatha already ran off towards the back of the house, blushing, almost tripping, leaving the carefully packed food and the jug of water on the ground.

Genesis couldn't help himself from chuckling while eating, his mind reliving the look on Agatha's face a while ago. She looked as if it's her first time seeing a half-naked man.

As usual, Agatha cooked delicious food for supper, one that Genesis still hadn't tasted yet.

That night, Genesis had just finished feeding the horses in the barn, his hands itchy from the grass which he quickly washed off in the kitchen when he heard it again. Her muffled cries.

Genesis couldn't take it anymore. This time, he knew he needed to do something. He couldn't bear the image of her crying on and on his mind any longer.

Knocking three times, Genesis stood before the door, waiting. Moments passed, still no answer.

He was on the verge of knocking once again when suddenly, the door flew open, revealing Agatha's beautiful yet crestfallen face, her eyes red from crying.

"You alright back there?"

Agatha stared at him for a second, as if registering what came out his mouth before nodding, biting her lips, her eyes downcast.

"Who am I kidding? 'course you're not," Genesis frustratedly murmured, running his fingers through his hair then pulling it.

Not caring if it's inappropriate or anything worse, he barged into the room, Agatha just looked at him, shocked evident in her face.

"Oh, this? It's tears of joy for...how bea-beautiful the dress I am making, that's all," she lied, clenching her frock, sniffing.

"I've ne-never had finer things such as this, yo-you see," she added, trying very hard to convince him.

Genesis couldn't help himself from feeling a pang of pity towards her for he knew what she's saying is a half-truth.

He's no stranger to the feeling of owning nothing but hand-me-downs. He lived like that half his life.

But he's no dumb, he knew she was crying over something else.

Still sniffing, tears pooling under her eyes, Genesis' arms went around hers, Agatha seemed shocked at first but after a few seconds, she gave in, clinging to him, sobbing.

Genesis maneuvers them, with Agatha still crying in his arms, to the bed, Agatha sitting down on top of his lap, their arms around each other, Genesis smoothening her back as she cried and cried against his shirt, dampening it. May it be her saliva or tears.

He did not force her to tell her what all this for he knew she'll open up when he's ready. He just comforted her, muttering the words, "It's okay, sweetheart. Let it all out,"

Agatha cried and cried and cried so hard to the point she was trembling in his arms, hiding her head in the crook of his arm, her hands clenching his shirt, "Sweetheart, don't stress too much about it, please,"

Still, she cried and clung to him desperately, as if, as if someone's chasing her.

Minutes later, Agatha grew exhausted, thus, he ended up falling asleep in his arms.

Genesis gingerly tucked her into bed, planting a kiss on her temple and was about to put out the kerosene lamp by the bedside table when his eyes caught the sight of his numerous letters near the lamp.

Before he could stop himself, his fingers were already grazing upon the letters, the state of the papers look as if it was read a hundred times.

Just before Genesis left her chamber, he looked back at her once more, sadness and a spark of a foreign emotion sweeping through him.